/> Raising Angels: A Sweet Reminder

Saturday, January 15, 2022

A Sweet Reminder

There was a small girl sitting in front of me at the wedding reception tonight. Best guess, she was about three or four. She was dressed in what I am sure was her finest dress, hair brushed neatly, younger sister by her side. They were active, happy, and sweet. 


After the toasts came the dances. Immediately upon hearing the music, the older of the two girls left her seat to dance. She didn't run to the dance floor, she just swayed and bopped and moved right next to her table...not to the beat, but in total abandonment to the movement. It wasn't long before the younger girl joined in. It was just the two of them, having their own dance party, in the middle of a crowded dining area, totally unaware of anyone else there. They were giggling as they moved in a somewhat chaotic way that didn't resemble dancing much at all. Yet, they were dancing, and what I saw was pure bliss.

I smiled at them and laughed along, not because of their poor dancing skills, but because the joy they were exuding was absolutely contagious and I was simply enjoying the moment with them.

What a gift, I thought to myself. The ability to enjoy yourself without a care in the world. To be in the moment and move along with it, not the slightest concern with what anyone else thinks is such a wonderful way to be. 

I've noticed this up close and personal as I've been raising my own children and teaching other people's. I've also noticed that as some point it goes away. What happens to kids to make them lose this ability to abandon themselves to the moment, to try and fail and laugh about it, to put their whole heart into what they're doing? I know there are a myriad of answers this question, but none of them make it any easier to watch it occur.

Tonight, I found myself grateful to have witnessed the joy of those two sisters. To be reminded that when Jesus called us to be like little children, this is what He meant. 

I also found myself challenged to search for ways to experience this in my life again...as many times as I possibly can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home