/> Raising Angels: And on the Seventh Day He Rested

Sunday, January 09, 2022

And on the Seventh Day He Rested

About fifteen years ago, when we were in the middle of building this house, we were exhausted. Nelson was working a full time job, coming home to change, and then putting in another six to seven hours a night on the house. He put full days in on Saturdays and Sundays. I had three little ones and another on the way. I was choosing and buying everything from plumbing fixtures to tile, and hauling it over to the house, while packing up the old one.


One Sunday at mass, the priest looked out into the congregation and said, "Sunday is a day of rest and I think you all have forgotten that. You look worn out. Go home today and take a nap." It was an odd thing to hear during a homily, but I had to admit, he had a point.

As he was shaking hands after church, he took Nelson's hand in his. "You're not working on the house today are you?" 

"Father," Nelson said gently, "my ox is in a ditch."

Father repeated his question, still gripping Nelson's hand and Nelson repeated his answer. The third time Father added his other hand to Nelson's hand enveloping it. He looked him square in the eye and commanded, "You're NOT working on the house today."

Nelson softly replied, "Yes, Father," withdrew his hand and walked away.

As much as I wanted the house to be finished (we were now in a race to get it finished before Max arrived), I was very grateful for that lesson. I missed my husband and was happy to have him home for something other than sleeping and eating. 

To this day, I try desperately to keep those words in mind. I mean, it's one of the commandments (Keep h
Holy the Sabbath) AND it's in the Bible (And on the seventh day he rested). We eat leftovers on Sundays most of the time. I try not to do laundry or any major cleaning. We try to keep activity to what is necessary or fun. And, I'm not going to lie, I love a good Sunday nap. You know that t-shirt that says, "Sundays are for Jesus and naps"? That was made for me.

Today I'm grateful for a day of rest. I'm grateful for time at mass with my family and time around the table eating and sharing stories. I'm grateful for game nights, long conversations, and quiet time. And I'm especially grateful for a God who knew we would need this built in time to focus on Him and to just be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home