/> Raising Angels: I Still Need My Mama

Thursday, January 06, 2022

I Still Need My Mama

Felicity came into my classroom right before lunch and said, "I don't feel good Mama."

"What's the matter?" I asked, hoping it would be nothing.

"My stomach really hurts," she weakly replied.

"Like you might throw up?" 

She nodded and I knew. I asked a few more prodding questions hoping a trip to the bathroom or eating lunch might help, but she was undeterred. 

Stomachaches are the worst. There's no real proof that anything's wrong unless vomiting ensues. As a teacher, that's the last thing I want happening in my classroom, so I never want another teacher to have to deal with that from my kid. 

"If you leave school, you know that means no basketball, no friends over, and no playing outside. If you're too sick for school, you're too sick for those things."

"I know," she sighed. "It really hurts though."

This was a little simpler when I was home during the day - not convenient, but simple. Now that I'm working, it's a bit more complicated. I work in a small school and there's no group of subs to call. The other teachers can cover for me and do in an emergency (like when Max got hit in the eye with a soccer ball and I had to take him to the ER because he couldn't see), but it takes a lot of juggling and tremendous sacrifice.

I called Nelson and he wasn't available. I called my mom and she didn't answer. It was lunchtime, so I had to get my class to the cafeteria. I told Felicity to stay put and I would go see my dad, who was teaching in the same building the cafeteria is in.

Dad's class was almost over so he immediately said he'd take Felicity home and if mom wasn't available, he'd watch her until after school. As my class ate, I helped Felicity gather her things and then walked her back to my dad.

That was it. I didn't worry about her after that. I knew my dad would love on her and mom would be able to fix whatever ailed her.

It's definitely not the first time my parents have come to my rescue, and I feel certain it won't be the last. Don't think I don't know how blessed I am to be able to call on my mom and dad when I need them. Believe me...I KNOW.

Before Nelson was working for himself, he was offered many, many opportunities for promotions and raises if he was willing to move. He always turned them down. "You can't buy what we have here," he told people. We both have parents and siblings in town, as well as a very deep network of extended family that would do anything for us if we asked them.

Today (and really, every day) I am grateful for my parents and the many, many ways they allow me to do what I do. I am grateful they made the sacrifice to move our family to a place where we have such a rich network of people who love and support us. I am grateful for the example of service to others they're still setting, even though they are well into their "golden years" and have earned the right to sit back and relax. 

I know relationships with parents can be complicated, but  I challenge you to think of one or two examples of how yours have blessed you during your life...and then thank them. If nothing else, they're the reason you're here and I think that's pretty great in and of itself. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home