/> Raising Angels: A Bit of Class

Monday, January 10, 2022

A Bit of Class

Today I'm grateful for my upbringing. I always am, but today seems a good day to focus on that. 

I was born in Tuscaloosa, while my dad was in graduate school at the University of Alabama. I was baptized in the chapel on campus. I have said, "Roll Tide" from the time I could talk. It's never been a question. It's in my veins. Win or lose, good team or not, great season or not, I stay the course.

That wasn't much of a problem when I lived in Alabama. Of course, there were the Auburn fans, but there didn't seem to be many of them. And then we moved to Georgia, where it's not so cool to be a Bama fan...especially in recent years. 

At the rare Alabama game we've attended in Athens, we've been kicked out of tailgating areas, had stuff thrown at us, been barked and spit at, and all around been treated like trash. Similar things have happened to us at home. For some reason, people love to hate Bama and everything and everyone attached to it. That has never deterred me, but it sure does take some of the fun out of it.

Tonight is the National Championship game and my social media has been filled with my so called friends shooting birds, comparing Coach Saban to Satan, and every other kind of bad mouthing I can't mention. I had to turn it off. 

I'm happy for Georgia. They've had a strong season. It's been a long time since they've won a title and I get what a big deal it is for them. I was raised to be a gracious fan, win or lose. When we win, we celebrate big in our house, hang our flags, and wear our gear. When we lose, we admit defeat, fly our flags, and still wear our gear. Once a Bama fan, always a Bama fan. 

Today, and every day, I'm grateful that my parents taught me a bit of class. They taught me how to hold my head high in victory and defeat, to learn from my mistakes, and to recognize and appreciate greatness when I see it. 

Win or lose tonight, I will love my Tide. I will support them and celebrate how amazing it is that they're playing for another championship. I will not be rolling anyone's house. I will not be putting containers of Tide in their yards. If they win, what will they do? We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home