/> Raising Angels: Sweet Shot

Saturday, January 08, 2022

Sweet Shot

This morning started bright and early (as far as Saturday mornings go) at the gym for Felicity's basketball game. I've never been much of a morning person. I do what needs to be done and get where I need to go, but I'm not super joyful about it, especially on a weekend after the first week back after a long break. 

Needless to say, we were down to the wire to get her to the gym on time. Even after five kids, I tend to forget that they don't, or can't, move at warp speed. I forget that not only do I need to get myself ready, but I also need to make sure teeth are brushed, the ponytail is in place, and shoes and socks are on. This morning, that all happened while I was spelling things to go in a birthday card she was making for a friend.

We rushed to the car with exactly four minutes to spare. Thank God I live less than a mile from the school! As we were pulling out, I realized I didn't have my phone. I also knew that if I went back for it, Felicity would be late. So, the phone stayed and we left.

She took her place with a few minutes to spare. I found a place in the bleachers and waited to cheer on my girl. These games in the past have been an exercise in frustration for Felicity. She is my rule follower and perfection seeker. She plays her position and is forever irritated that nobody will pass the ball. She has the awareness that she's where she's supposed to be, she's open, and so the ball should come to her. Her fellow teammates think more like, "I have the ball, so I will shoot."

As I was watching her in the first half of her game, I was wishing I had my phone to record a few moments. Then it happened. She came up with the rebound, turned toward the goal, and finally took her shot.

NOTHING...BUT...NET!

When she saw that ball swish, she immediately turned towards the bleachers, mouth smiling while gaping open, eyes wide with excitement. She pumped her fists in the air as she caught my eye and then turned back to the game, ponytail swaying.

In that moment, I found myself truly grateful that I didn't have my phone. I've learned that when I'm looking through my camera, trying to get the perfect shot, I often miss the game. Not this time. I watched the whole thing. I enjoyed every precious expression. I was in the moment down to the end when I preemptively walked down the bleachers so that as she raced across the court, I could catch her in her running hug and gush over her total awesomeness. 

There is no way I could have captured that moment on film. I'm no professional, so whatever I got would have been blurry, or right before or after that ideal moment. And even if I did, there's no way it would have exuded the pure joy I saw on her face.

Today I'm grateful for the reminder that it's okay to be unplugged. It's okay to just experience the moment instead of trying to capture it for Instagram. And, I am so, so, so grateful that I was able to do that for this moment in my eight-year-old's life. With five kids, there are many times I can't be there for one, because I'm somewhere else for another. But today, I got to be right where I was supposed to be. I got to drink in the delight. I got to absorb the hug. I got to walk with her and listen to her relive it in her own words. 

It was a sweet shot indeed, but an even sweeter moment to savor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home