/> Raising Angels: Ice, Ice Baby

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ice, Ice Baby


Funny that the day after I wrote about last week's snow, we were yet again battening down the hatches for more winter weather.  You know it's expected to be bad when you get a call from the school on Tuesday that it will be closed for the rest of the week with nary a flake in sight.

The kids came home with great anticipation, totally bewildered by the fact that yes, they will still be having piano lessons. These lessons require a walk across the backyard, across the street and through the next backyard. It wasn't even raining yet. I was certain they could handle it.

I did notice, when I walked Dawson over, that it was getting much colder and the wind was picking up. By the time I went to bed Tuesday night, I could hear the pitter patter of the ice. It was the beginning of several inches of slush and ice that continued through the night. 

Wednesday the kids tried to go out but quickly discovered that slushy ice combined with cold and wind is not so fun to play in. The city had been warned that power was going to be going out. We had power companies from several states setting up camp not far from us, so it was no surprise when the lights started to flicker. 

We did what any family with five kids who were stuck in a house knowing their power could be cut off at any minute would do. We watched a movie. We felt pretty lucky to make it through without losing it. We had some friends over for chili and sent the kids to bed. 

I decided to walk my friend home so I could say I had been out in it. There was something eerily peaceful about the walk. The city was completely quiet so we could hear the crunching of the ice beneath our feet. It felt much like a scene from a scary movie. You know, the part where the characters are thinking everything is hunky dory and then the ominous music kicks in. 

Well, it kicked.

The ice started falling again and the sky lit up. Between the cracking of the tree branches giving way to the weight of the ice and the lightning that filled the sky, I felt it was time to bid my friend goodbye and high tail it back home.

Come to find out, it wasn't lightning, but breakers blowing that lit the night's sky. I was awakened Thursday morning around 3 by Felicity who felt like a popsicle. I looked over at the clock and realized the power had finally gone out. I walked downstairs, turned on our gas fireplaces and went back up to put the baby in bed with me to keep her warm.

I have always loved our gas fireplaces and stove top. Today, I was truly grateful for them. We stayed near the fire and ate what we could without having to open the freezers. Realizing how cold it was and that not everyone was as warm as we were, I shot a message to another family to come join us. 

An hour later, the house was brimming with people of all ages. The body heat alone helped us stay pretty warm. We played games, talked and genuinely enjoyed our time together. Before we knew it, the sun began to set. I gathered every candle I had in the house and filled the kitchen with them. She had food she needed to cook and no way to cook it so she brought it over and we carried the day into the evening with the most romantic paper plate spaghetti meal I've ever had. 

We were lingering at the table discussing sleeping plans for everyone when the lights came back on, less than 24 hours later. I was happy to know I wasn't going to lose all the food I had in my freezer, but just a little sad it was over.

For most people in the city, the situation was much more dreary. They estimate it may take over a week to get power back to some. For us, however, it was a day long stay-cation with friends. There was no noise. There were no distractions or hurriedness. There was challenge and adventure to make due with the food that was available. There were long conversations. There were life long memories made.

We are thankful we were spared any more home damage. We are thankful that the home we built was used in yet another way we intended for it. We are blessed by the generosity of friends who shared a meal with us.

All in all, a good day.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home