/> Raising Angels: Sweet Sibling Love

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Sweet Sibling Love


Having Felicity join our family has been so, so fun and sweet. But what has been just as sweet has been the her effect on her brothers. Of course, Mackenzie absolutely adores her little sister, but I expected that - brother or sister.  The boys, however, have surprised me.  The older kids have always loved all the babies. They're older now though, so I thought they might get over her quickly.  That could not be farther from the truth.

I've been sharing a room with Mackenzie and Felicity for the last month due to some flooding issues we had (this is a story in itself - maybe another day). Mackenzie has extended her already lengthy morning routine due to her constant gazing at Felicity. "May I please go get her Mama?" I totally expected that. She's a second Mama, just like I was.

Once I take Felicity downstairs to change and dress her, it's Aiden who is the first one to come to see her. "She's so cute Mama! How can she be so cute! Can I hold her? It's been really, really long since I've gotten to hold her." And with those words, and how softly he says them, I'm no longer admiring my cute newborn. Instead, I'm standing back in amazement of how my rough and tough boy, the one who can barely stand a hug anymore, is so taken by this small being. The sweetness she has brought out in him brings tears to my eyes.

Of course Dawson and Max are not to be left out. They are the first ones to kiss her in the morning and it's the last thing they do before going to bed. They do not miss one day. Every day is a fight to see who gets to sit next to her in the car. The bickering, it's driving me crazy. The reason, it's making me melt.

Last Friday I brought Felicity to school with me while I was having a rehearsal for the fourth grade play. "Is she coming with you?" they all wanted to know. "Mama, you can just leave her in my classroom while you practice," suggested Aiden. "We'd love to watch her."

"Thanks bud, but I'm not sure your teacher would be okay with that.”

"Why not?" he seriously wanted to know.

"Well, I don't think you'd get much work done. What if she cries?"

"I could bring her to you." I could tell he had the whole plan hatched out in his head. 

"How about you ask your teacher if I can drop by with her after rehearsal so you can show her to everyone? Does that sound okay?"

"Yes!"

"Can she come to my class too?" Dawson wanted to know.

So there I was, walking the halls of the elementary school with the best show and tell item all year. Their classmates oohed and ahhed over her while each of my boys beamed with so much pride they almost burst. I told Dawson's class how we chose her name and what it means. I told Aiden's class how she and Aiden are buddies because they both have red hair, they are the only two kids not born in a leap year, and they were both born on the 18th. The blushing that ensued was priceless.

Here's what I'd like you to take from this. Have more kids. Sure it's hard, and, let's face it, babies are anything but convenient. Kids need siblings. They teach each other about sacrifice and selflessness. They teach loyalty and love. Mostly though, they bring out the best (and yes, often times the worst) in each other. 

This baby, our sweet little Felicity, has brought out qualities in her siblings that I had yet to see, and believe me when I say, it is worth every single minute of it.

And tomorrow? Well, it’s show and tell in the Kindergarten class and guess who Max is bringing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please pray for those of us who are trying!!! Sometimes it's hard to read/hear words like these.

9:08 AM  
Blogger PamL said...

That is so sweet! I remember reading a Catholic author who said that the best gift you can give your children is another sibling. Once you have 3, 4 or 5...it just seems harder. And once they are older (teens), they don't always see a little brother or sister (not a newborn, but a "pesky" 5 or 6 or 7 year old) as a gift. But I have no doubt that they will when they are all older and all they have is each other. Life has its moments when we can see how awesome it is for these children of ours to have each other. The bickering....I could do without it, but it kind of comes with the territory. I guess they are learning conflict resolution as young children so they can do it better when they are adults??

2:55 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Dear Anonymous,

I do pray daily for those who desire children. In fact, much of my suffering during pregnancy was offered up for the women who would give anything to be in my place. My heart and prayers go out to those who suffer with infertility.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home