/> Raising Angels: To Keep Or Not To Keep?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

To Keep Or Not To Keep?

I've made six moves thus far in my life and with every one of them I’ve tried to pare down the clutter.

This is the biggest move ever. I've never had my own home before now and packing up the entire thing is a bit overwhelming. So far, with the help from family and friends I have been able to do it a little at a time which allows me the opportunity to toss more stuff.

Today I was going through some of the attic things. Most of it was boxes of children's clothes and shoes I've saved over the years. Stuff that was stained, worn out or not a favorite went into the garage sale pile.

Then I happened upon one box that said "Amy's stuff". In it were my first few diaries, classroom journals, report cards and a blue ribbon sewing project I did somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd grade. I also found a portfolio that holds some of my favorite art work from my high school art class. I also have a box with all of my diplomas and college awards.

Those two boxes are still in my living room - the others have been carried over to the new house. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep these things.

Here are my thoughts so far. I think I'll hold onto the journals/diaries. I've been a writer all my life and I've learned a lot from going back over some of my entries. It may also make a nice history for my kids some day. Other than that, I think I'll let the rest go. It pains me to think about throwing the art away but really, it's not anything I'll hang in the new house so why should I keep it? Also I don't have an office so do I really need to hang my college degrees?

Any words of wisdom?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You good woman, decluttering! I applaud you for getting rid of old pictures that you know you will not use. I use every move to do the same thing and it feels so good to "clean house". However, I definitely think you should keep your diplomas. Even if you never hang them, there are something you worked hard for; you can always put them in a scrapbook/photo album.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think about what your children and grandchildren think if they saw those, then decide if you want to keep them or not. I am sure they would love to have those around. Just a thought.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Megan B said...

i was just going through the same sort of dilemma this weekend at my parents' house as i sorted through some boxes of things. it's sometimes hard to justify hanging on to something that is just going to sit in a box. i decided on the things that were most important and felt that my children or grandchildren would enjoy seeing when they get older. if your mother or grandmother had artwork or pictures from their youth wouldn't you enjoy seeing it today?

10:04 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

i think you should save it for your kids... the box. your kids and grandkids will want to see your work.

personally, i wish my mom had saved more from her childhood. i LOVE seeing things from when my grandmother was young.

i try to declutter too, but some things are worth saving!

pray on it and see....

good luck!!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I have one box (a small trunk actually) and my husband has one too. It's the memorabilia box. I've pared things in that box down over the years (old boyfriend love letters got tossed in the second year of my marriage or so), and I'm sure there are a few more things that I'll get rid of in the future.

I ask myself, "If I were 85, widowed, lived alone, would this object or letter or photo album give me happy memories?"

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy - I vote for keeping it all - at least for right now. You're moving into a big house with lots of storage room. If, and when, you start running out of storage space, then reconsider. In the meantime, I think those things will really be enjoyed by your children and grandchildren in the future.

You're doing a great job juggling all of these new duties and taking care of the little new one in your belly. We love you. Let us know if we can help.

Love, Damma

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I would reconsider the art. Perhaps you can do what I do with my children's art:

Take a digital picture of it. Save it on a cd. Then you can, if you choose print of 4x6's of it for an album, 8x10s for framing, etc.

But that way you will always have a digital copy of your art. Then just pop the cd and the journals into the box - along with any other memorabilia. Your kids will want it. Guaranteed.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Keep the degrees and diplomas...you can hang them in a hallway...you don't need an office.

Artwork I would keep....I would find a frame that fits it, and I would also rotate the pictures in the frame. Hang that in a hallway too....

Ha, have a little gallery in your home.

That's what I would do.

1:08 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Keep the diplomas! Frame them and hang them somewhere. I don't have an office, so my diploma is hanging in our entryway. You worked hard for those and you should keep them. As for the other stuff, you sound like you are on the right path. The journals and diaries probably reveal more about you than the artwork, although your kids might enjoy seeing that too.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks for all the input. I will weigh it heavily.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Hillbillburbian Files said...

From someone who has *nothing* from her parents or grandparents (because mom and grandmom are infamous "declutter-ers") my vote is to save it. It's only two boxes, but a lifetime of memories and threads that will one day tie your children and your children's children and their children to their grandmother. These are the threads and patches that create our family quilts. Keep your patches!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home