/> Raising Angels: The Gig is Up

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Gig is Up

My totally independent, "I can do it myself", three year old has completely regressed. Suddenly, he can't do anything. He needs to be held, sit on my ever shrinking lap, and...climb into bed with me every night.

At first I thought this was cute. Then after a month of almost nightly invasions, I decided I had had enough. Of course, in my pregnant, not sleeping much, totally uncomfortable shape, my first solution was to send him to the other side of the bed to sleep with Daddy. That worked okay until Nelson began to send him right back to me.

Last week I decided it was time for some serious action. In about 8 weeks I'll have a newborn in my room and, hopefully, be in the new house, a flight of stairs away from the other kids. This was a habit that could become dangerous in more ways than one (think waking a sleeping infant and mother).

For the past few nights, when Dawson’s little hand taps me on the shoulder, I simply tell him to get back into his own bed. After several teary requests matched with stern refusals he resorts to asking me to tuck him in which I also refuse figuring that this would only delay the learning process.

Last night he actually spent the entire night in his own bed. He awoke to the praises of a very grateful Mommy and Daddy. Tonight, as I tucked him in and gave him a blessing, I reminded him of how proud I was of him.

"Are you going to do that again tonight?" I anxiously asked. He shook his head. "You did it last night, why can't you do it again tonight?"

"Last night there were no monsters in my room," he quickly explained.

"Dawson, that's because there's no such thing as monsters. There have never been any monsters in your room and there never will be," I confidently assured him.

He looked a bit relieved and then asked, "Are there any snakes?"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet, precious Dawson! I admire your vigilance in the face of his cuteness.

Kelly

9:33 AM  
Blogger My name is Dianna said...

Amy, we ran into the same problem with all of our girls. The solution for us was to use a fifty-cent spray bottle, filled with water or holy water and the room got a good spray each evening and a prayer asking for God to send holy angels to guard their room so nothing evil or scary could pass. It could be a spiritual thing, but if not a little holy water never hurts.

10:12 AM  
Blogger My name is Dianna said...

oh yeah, we called it monster spray or you could go the other way and call it angel spray-to attract the angels

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just want to share that my 19 yr old had a nightmare the other night... and i responded in the same way that i always have....it was nice to know that, on some level, she still needs her mother.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks ladies. He told me this morning after another successful night that he has followed our advice.

"Mama, I just said, Jesus make the mosters go out of my room and He did."

Hopefully this is advice he will continue to use on future monsters that come his way.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home