/> Raising Angels: Prayer Support

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Prayer Support

Yesterday my mothers' prayer group gathered for the first time since the end of school last year. I was looking forward to gathering again...except for the fact that the consensus was to meet at 6 a.m.

I am NOT a morning person. I never have been and now that I'm pregnant, well, you get the picture. When the alarm went off after a very fitful night of sleep, my body hurt. My mind gave me a dozen reasons to roll back over but my spirit ached to be fed.

I went. It was the first time in our four years together that we met before sunrise, in perfect quiet, with no children. It brought a different kind of peace in spite of the gigantic sacrifice.

When it came time for my prayer requests, I let loose. These women are my friends, my warriors. We've been through a lot together over the years and I have nothing left to hide from them.

Not one of them laughed at me. No one judged me. There was not one word of condemnation. Instead I received words of encouragement, wisdom and compassion. These are all mothers. They've been where I am. They empathized with me and told me I am not crazy. They laid hands on me and prayed over me. They even provided some practical tools for some of my ailments.

As I left the house totally exhausted, I felt a peace that I haven't felt in a long time. I realized that I am not alone. I have three dear friends who are praying for me and a God who loves me enough to provide them.

If you don't have this kind of support in your life, find some. I cannot tell you the prayers that have been answered among us over the last four years. We lean on each other, console each other, laugh with each other and just plain enjoy each other.

The jury is still out on whether the 6 a.m. time will work (in other words, we’ll see if I survive it). However, if it’s a choice between the physical sacrifice and the spiritual one, I’ll choose the physical one every time.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm new to your site and I love it. I love reading about your daily happenings with your family and it gives me hope that some day I too will meet a wonderful, Catholic man and welcome many children into our arms. How did you find your prayer group friends?
I'll pray that this pregnancy is easier for you and that your physical struggles be lifted up for other people's pain in your life. Hang in there!

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a fourth friend praying for you as well! You will make it to the joyful part of pregnancy! I look at John's precious face and think, "What was so hard about that?" But it was hard.

I do believe stress adds to the nausea. I struggled much more carrying Timmy and Kolbe while working than I did with John not working.

A year from now you will be sitting in your lovely home holding a gorgeous baby.

Love,

Kelly

10:39 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks so much Kelly. I knew you would be praying. We miss you so much at prayers!

Shannon,

Keep the faith. God's timing is perfect. I waited a lot longer than I hoped to be married and look at how God has blessed me!

Thanks for the prayers. My prayer group consists of a former housemate, one of my son's godmothers and a fellow graduate. We are all members of a large multi-denominational community (not a church - all the moms attend Catholic churches).

It started as two of us talking about wanting to pray for our families together and then spreading the word.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Amy for your advice. It really was what I needed to hear tonight. I'll keep focusing on my role as a grad student now and keep the faith, trusting in our loving God.

Still praying for you and your pregnancy!

11:14 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

And I will be praying for you Shannon!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home