/> Raising Angels: Just an Ordinary Day

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Just an Ordinary Day

Today I left the house around 10 a.m. and didn't return until after 3. I had the boys with me. It was just one of those new house errand days. We hit the Y, Home Depot, a flooring store and then my young moms’ prayer group.

At noon I realized that although I can skip lunch on busy days such as these, my boys cannot. I got them some fast food, doled it out, and then headed on to the next stop feeling a little guilty about the bad habits I may be forming in them.

When the car came to a stop I turned around to see to happy boys calming holding their honey mustard in one hand and their chicken nuggets in the other, chocolate milks clinched between their legs.

I'm not sure what happened but looking at those two grinning boys buckled down in their car seats munching away, I was completely overwhelmed by how much I love them. I can't describe it except to say that at once I was bursting with joy, thankfulness and total, unconditional, only a mama can feel it kind of love.

After staring at them goo goo eyed for several seconds the emotions finally erupted from my heart and out of my mouth. "I just LOVE you both so much! You are so cute. I am SO thankful that God gave you to me. You are such perfect gifts. I love you! I love you! I love you!"

They caught on immediately and grinned bigger with each affirmation. And, when I was finally able to get it in gear and move on, they looked back at me and said almost in unison, "I love you too Mama."

In one sense it was nothing profound - just plain, simple, every day life that all too often passes me by. On the other hand, it was unbelievably earth shattering to drink in that moment of divine gratefulness - to see the gifts God has given me for what they are - to enjoy the emotion that makes me Mama.

It was just an ordinary moment of an ordinary day, but it is one that I will never, ever forget.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kitty said...

I am pregnant, so I should not be reading blog posts entitled "Just an Ordinary Day" because I will immediately start crying. Thanks for the reminder of how much I REALLY DO love my 6 children.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

You're welcome and congrats on the upcoming bundle of JOY!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home