/> Raising Angels: Life's Simple Pleasures

Sunday, January 02, 2022

Life's Simple Pleasures

Last night found me in a rare moment - home, almost alone. It was just me and Felicity, who I had already read to and spent some quality time with on some Christmas gift projects. I didn't feel guilty at all when she asked if she could watch a show while she ate the gourmet peanut butter and jelly sandwich I put down in front of her. Actually, I felt a little guilty about the sandwich, but she turned down all of the amazing leftovers I had in my fridge so that was the only other option.

I got her settled and told her I'd be in the bathroom if she needed me. I decided I was going to take a bath and enjoy the quiet. 

I need to let that statement sit there a moment. You see, I'm not a bath person. When we built our home and designed the master bathroom, we actually debated about putting a tub in. Neither of us are bathers and it seemed impractical to put one in. However, we knew at some point we'd probably sell this house and a master bath without a bath, well, it doesn't sell easily.

The tub we chose is quite nice. We've used it over the years for allowing the kids to have a fun swim/bath, as well as when we had the dog that decided pooping in the kennel and rolling around in it every night for months was a good idea. When I was running and struggling with IT band issues, I took several very painful (I mean helpful) ice baths. Other than that, I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've actually used the bathtub in the fourteen years we've lived here.

I've read a few books recently by the author, Matthew Kelly, and I love him. He has a website www.dynamiccatholic.com and I just finished his "Best Advent Ever". Whether or not your Catholic, I HIGHLY recommend you check his stuff out. I cannot say enough good things about the wisdom he shares. I watched a video recently in which he lists "13 Simple Pleasures to Refresh Your Soul". I mean, who wouldn't be at least tempted to see what that includes? I've been trying to include some of them in my days while I'm on Christmas break and they do indeed feed my soul. Guess what number five is. That's right, "Take a hot bath."

I don't avoid baths because I don't like them. I simply don't have time for them. To me, a bath is not for getting clean (I do that in the shower), and so it has always seemed like a self-indulgent luxury that I never felt I could afford. I mean, it takes a good 10 -15 minutes just to fill up the tub and then you have to sit in it for at least that long to make it worth the effort (in my mind at least). Usually by the time I even consider it, it's so late I'd rather just go to bed.

But last night was different. The house was basically empty at 7:15 and I had worked through a large "to do" list already. And, well, my soul needed to be fed. So I started the tub while I hopped in the shower. Like I said, I don't like to use the tub for bathing. I'm weird. 

When at last I stepped into the tub, I lit some candles and turned the lights low. I decided bubbles might be nice so I poured in some soap and turned on the jets. I began to giggle as the bubbles got higher and higher, waiting so see how high they would go before I chickened out and turned off the jets. By the time I did that, I had enough bubbles that I could actually lift my hands out of the water and not see them because there were so many. It was like being a kid again. I experimented with how high I could lift my feet and arms before they broke the bubbly surface. I sat as still as I could and listened to the tiny crackling sounds of the bursting bubbles. I watched as the glassy surface of the bubbles glisten gold from the candle light. I spent some moments in prayer. And then, I continued to sit, not thinking, just being...and enjoying.

That's when I figured out why this was one thing on a short list of simple pleasures. All thirteen of the things on that list aren't about accomplishing anything other than slowing down and enjoying the moment. In my life with five kids, a full time job, and a calendar that rarely, if ever, has an empty day, I seldom take the time to do that. There are barely moments in my day when I can. 

And yet, the Lord has been opening my eyes to moments that are there for the taking if I make the choice to unplug and let go of my schedule. Those occasions are usually only a few minutes, but they can often be the fuel I need to complete long days. In short, I am a better version of myself when I seize those moments, not necessarily the day. 

So today I am grateful for hot baths, massive bathtubs, glistening bubbles, and candles. Try it sometime. I have a feeling you will be too.

2 Comments:

Blogger kviz said...

Yes,girl! Hot baths are holy.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Shauna Occhipinti said...

Oh yes! Hot baths are one of my must have soul nurturing things.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home