/> Raising Angels: Helping Hands

Monday, August 20, 2012

Helping Hands

I got a later start time for Friday's surgery (7AM) and we almost missed it! Figures. I called and they were great. I got to talk with the doctor before he began and he explained everything about Tuesday's surgery and I felt much better about the whole thing...and then I was OUT. Never ceases to amaze me, the whole going under part of things. Thankfully, it did not cause me to have to pull over on the highway this time. It did however, cause me to sleep until one and repeat my stories over and over again (at least, that's what Nelson told me).

All in all it was a much better day, but the surgery going well was not what made the day so much better.

Sometime Thursday afternoon I got a text from a friend who said she was off Friday, "Can I watch the kids for you?" Now this is the sweet girl who married one of our guys and now they are staying in our apartment (attached to our house).

My initial response was to tell her thanks but I've got it covered. Then I thought to myself that Friday was my folk's anniversary and wouldn't it be a sweet gift to mom if she didn't have to wake up at 6 to come over here. Wouldn't it be even better if she got to go to mass first? So I sheepishly knocked on this sweet girl's door (which happens to be in my entry way) and took her up on her offer. Blessed beyond belief is what I felt when finished our conversation. I only met her last year and here she is offering to be there for me and my kids.

On top of that, my mom did come over, on HER anniversary, to take over duties. My mom's generosity and service never cease to amaze me but today they blessed me incredibly. She only woke me to let me say good bye to the kids before they left for the day. I love you mom!

The kids...all 4 of them...were invited by Nelson's sister and her husband to spend the night Friday and they wanted to pick them up when Max got out of school at 1:30. I almost tried to talk them out of taking all of them but the timing of the invitation was just too good for me to pass up. I awoke from the dregs of the anesthesia to kiss them good bye.

I walked back into the kitchen after they left to find a flower and some homemade muffins from one of my neighbors sitting on the counter with a get well card attached. My phone was blinking with numerous texts from friends asking me how it went. My mom even called to check on me.

After that I just relished in how well cared for I was. I felt so loved and I wondered what the difference was this go around. I had two other leg surgeries around the first of the year and I didn't have the same feeling then.

The more I thought about it, the more I came to realize that it was not my friends who had changed, but me. I have been trained and taught by my parents, husband and the circumstances of my life to be very self-sufficient. I am quite capable of taking care of myself and my family all by myself. This is a quality I have too often taken pride in.

The difference this time was not in the amount of offers I received; it was in my willingness to accept them. I love to serve. I love the way I feel when I know I've been able to help someone. However, I am quite unwilling to allow them to do the same for me. I was under the false impression that this would make me weak.

It did quite the opposite. I felt stronger because of their love. I felt encouraged by their willingness to lend a hand. I felt blessed by their prayers and thoughtfulness. It was really quite wonderful.

I want to encourage you to give it a try, especially if you're a "I can do it" kind of person like me.  We all have people in our lives who are willing to help us, who in fact would love to help us. Let them. You'll be blessed beyond measure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home