/> Raising Angels: Be Still and Know that I am God

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Be Still and Know that I am God

In case you were worried, we did make it back from the beach. I do admit I spent some time trying to figure out how I can live my life at the beach. Or really not even the beach, I just wondered if I could put myself on some kind of permanent vacation.

We had a wonderful time but I left the beach feeling not so good.

Sunday, I felt worse and by Monday I was on the couch. Funny how things work out like that. Things have been so busy lately that I've actually found myself getting jealous of people who are sick. Isn't that crazy?

But there I was. Sick. Stuck on the couch. Watching a documentary about the man who is Elmo. Don't laugh, that documentary is actually worth watching. Max had a Pop-Tart and a juice box for lunch while watching the third Veggie Tale of the day kind of sick.

There I was lying on my couch because I literally could not get up and all I could think about was the things I needed to be doing. Three, yes three, different people dropped by to see me. No shower, make-up, contacts, or nice clothes. Instead it was a sweatshirt, pajama pants, and glasses. A few years ago, this day would have totally humiliated me. Seriously, I never left the house without mascara (This is in a large part due to the fact that my eyelashes are red and without it, people ask me if I’m feeling ok. Really, they do.). That day however, all I could think was that I’m so happy I live in a place where people are really like my family and love me with or without my hair done and my make-up on. I was happy to know I had made at least a little progress in my life.

I was still feeling pretty bad at the end of the day. I shuffled my way from the couch to the bed and somewhere in that brief journey I heard that still small voice. “Be still and know that I am God.” I laughed…because God and I laugh together a lot and I knew He had me on this one. I giggled and told him out loud that I totally have that last part down.

“I so know who you are God,” I let him know. “I have for all my life. Being still though, yeah, that needs work.”

I’m not good at it and God knows that about me. Shoot it’s not a big secret. Most people who really know me know this. I am no good at being still. I’m a leg crosser and shaker. It’s not uncommon for Nelson to reach over and put his hand on my leg to stop the madness. These days I’m so busy that when I finally sit still a moment, I usually fall asleep.

But I got the message that day. I know what I need to be working on because God told me pretty clearly.

Now if I can just figure out how to make that happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home