/> Raising Angels: Running the Hood

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Running the Hood

Hit off on the alarm this morning at 5:30 a.m. Some days, I just don't have it in me...especially the days when I know I can squeeze in a run at some other time.

I hit the road with Max in the stroller much in the morning and the weather, although gorgeous, strangely resembled spring more than fall.

I've given up thinking of these outing as runs and refer to them as a cross-training day. Pushing those jogging strollers with a not-so-little tike is not-so-easy.

On mile one we passed a sweet lady who lives somewhere in our neighborhood. I'm guessing this because I run into her a lot on my runs but I've never actually seen her go into her home. We chatted briefly. Today we acknowledged the beautiful weather.

Mile two I ran past another more familiar neighbor stretching on her lawn, babies asleep in her stroller. She had just finished. We talked about running with babies, getting back to running after having babies and decided we should try to run together sometime.

Mile three we ran past several friends in their yards and cars and simply smiled and waved.

Mile three and a half brought us past my dad's office. I was trying to run without Max seeing it and asking for the candy my dad always has for him. We were easily distracted by the woman coming out of the office who commented that she needed a ride in the stroller. Max told me, after she was gone thank God, that she was WAY too big for the stroller. In the meantime, dad spotted us and brought candy to Max curbside.

Long about mile four I was thinking that even though I despise running in our neighborhood (it is HILLY and I'm not crazy about people seeing how slow I am...stroller or not), I love it too.

Who else can run for four miles and claim that they personally know almost every person they pass as well as who lives in every house along the way? I can. I've said many times that I have the best friends in the world, but I've not often mentioned that I live in the best neighborhood in the world too.

Why it's the best neighborhood takes more explaining than I have time for right now, so you're going to have to trust me on this one. Or...you could come visit and let me show you. I'd love to show you.

Seriously, I have a guestroom.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I love that feeling too!

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home