/> Raising Angels: Going Back to School Has Taken On a Whole New Meaning

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Going Back to School Has Taken On a Whole New Meaning

I got a call late last week. It was the call of desperation from the high school principal at the kids' school asking me to consider teaching a class this year.

Let me tell you just how God works. About two weeks ago, after discussing our budget, Nelson and I decided that it would be good for me to do something to help out financially. I could not wrap my mind around a job that required me to leave my babies. I was researching free lance writing, online teaching and the like. Nothing jumped out at me. Truth be told, I didn't want to work.

Then I got the call. The request was to teach one class, a class that I taught for 5 years...8 years ago. It just so happens that it was my favorite class to teach. I made a call to my dear mother, who just happened to have retired Saturday, and she graciously agreed to not only watch my two little guys, but to come to my house to do it.

Coincidentally, I'm getting to the end of The Purpose Driven Life. The last few pages have focused on using your God-given talents to build His kingdom. People who work at this Christian school know that it is just as much a service as it is a job.

It was just too perfect to say no. God had dropped this opportunity in my lap and smoothed out all of the details. How could I say no? Now I will be doing something I love (teaching), while serving God as well as helping my family. This is not a job opportunity, it is a gift.

This morning however, it did not feel so much like a gift. I was nervous - stomach turning, hands shaking nervous. I am not nearly as prepared as I want to be. I walked into my class and the desks were still stacked on top of each other with no chairs. I had no roster and didn't know most of the students. And, after my hour long class, my shirt was wet. I had forgotten how hot it is in that non-air conditioned place.

But all of those things were not what was making me nervous. It was more a fear of how I am going to fit this into my life. Teaching as a single and newlywed is TOTALLY different than teaching as a mother of 4 still pretty small and needy kids.

What I know (and am relying on) is that when God calls you to do something, He gives you the grace to do it. So I'm looking forward to a year full of adventure and lots and lots of GRACE!

3 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

It will all work out, as it so clearly already has started falling into place. I've always wanted to teach high school, but now is not the time. I hope you have a great year!

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy - I'm so happy for you and for your students. You will do a great job and enjoy yourself in the process. Say NO! to all unnecessary requests. As we used to say in the Army, "Don't volunteer for nuthin'"

- Kelly

P.S. My word verification is "Dolim." How weird is that?

11:13 AM  
Blogger PamL said...

Wow! We are in the same boat! I too was looking for a way to earn extra money and found a teaching job just 6 hours a week at a homeschooling co-op. My youngest of six (3 years old) can stay with my sister and a neighbor, so it worked out. But my first day went just like that- sweaty and nerve wracking! But, it does get better! We are entering week 5 and it is so much more comfortable now. Good luck!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home