/> Raising Angels: The Best Kept Secrets

Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Best Kept Secrets

Tonight a mother of seven asked me how I was feeling as I was shuffling all three of my kids to the car.

"Okay," I said wanting to be positive and not unload my list of aches and pains. "This one has been a little harder on me," I finished, hoping for some great advice.

"Oh yes," she said with the most sincere empathy in her voice, "it gets harder with each one. You have three kids to keep up with and you're building that house. I'm sure it's tough."

As she walked away I thought about how no one had warned me of this. For some reason, I thought pregnancy would get easier after having gone through it a few times. It's kind of how I felt after I had my first baby and experienced more contractions AFTER she was born. No one warned me about all the after birth stuff either.

I think this is all a part of God's grand plan, these little secrets. Otherwise, there might be a lot fewer children around. Think about your worst pregnancy. If God had mapped out in detail how bad you would feel and for how long, would you have been as willing to be open to life? Okay, I know most of you are probably saying, "Of course! It's totally worth the sacrifice." But if you had already been through one and you knew the next would be even harder, wouldn't you be a little more inclined to say something more like, "Thanks for the heads up God. I think I have enough blessings. I don't really want to do that again."

Thank goodness for the world that women somehow manage to put all the bad memories of pregnancy, the pains of childbirth, and the sleepless nights of infancy out of their minds. With some time and a little distance we see those inconveniences for what they really are - a small price to pay for such a beautiful gift.

I have to admit that I have not done a good job keeping the trials of this pregnancy a secret. And, I don't really plan on forgetting about it after it's over. But, one thing I know for sure is that when I finally hold this sweet little baby in my arms, I will say that it was all worth it in the end and that no price is too high for the ability to be a co creator with God.

Yep. That's definitely what I'll say because that's absolutely what I believe. Only 22 more weeks to go.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

It's ten days until my due date, and I'm in a lot of "discomfort" (I'd say PAIN, but that's just so dramatic...and when it's chronic, but not debilitating, there's not much point in crying). I am amazed at how many people will ask me if I'm having more. Right now, I'd have to say that I NEVER EVER want to do this again.

Fortunately, I forget all of this "discomfort" really quickly, especially when holding that sweet little baby.

I'm finishing a novena to St. Gerard today and then beginning another one. Besides my own L&D, I've included you on the list of expectant moms I'm praying for. And even if it's hard throughout, I hope the memory fades fast.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks so much Michelle. I agree with you totally. I really appreciate the prayers and I am doing the same for you.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Mom said...

I said after my first child that I wouldn't do it again, but of course I did. although it wasn't planned. None of my kids have been planned for that matter. It is totally worth the sacrifice though, they are wonderful kids.

Those after birth contractions are a force to be reckoned with. I had to take 2 Percocets to deal with them. They get worse after each kid, but thankfully only last 3 or 4 days, and mine only came about when nursing. The I had to put the baby down due to the intensity of the pain.
I too, will never forget all the pains and nausea of pregnancy, how can I when it was bad and so intense for so long? But if it should happen again(hope not) I will welcome it, even if I feel otherwise while in the midst of it.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home