/> Raising Angels: Sold!

Friday, September 14, 2007

Sold!

Today I was walking through the mall when I passed by a cart and was stopped by a salesman asking if I wanted a sample. Now usually, I walk right by these people barely saying, "No thank you." Today, however, the spirit moved me to stop.

"What is it?" I asked, peering into the plastic cup.

"It's lotion," he said, immediately noticing my involuntary eye roll. "But wait, I want to show you something else. Come here."

I don't know why, but I followed him and chatted with him while he buffed my nails to a perfect, natural shine. "These products are all from the Dead Sea," he informed me.

"Wow. I've always wanted to go there. I'd love to see the Holy Land someday."

"Oh my gosh," he gushed, "you are welcome any time. I am from Israel. I'm Jewish," he said showing me the Star of David around his neck.

When I explained to him that I am Catholic and that my brother was in seminary when he floated in the Dead Sea, he was enthralled. "I've not met many Catholics."

We continued a really nice conversation as he gave my hands a spa treatment. Then he started his pitch, explaining that he just happened to be having a sale today. I explained we were building a house and funds were tight, but he was not deterred. Maybe I would ask for a set for Christmas I told him sincerely.

Over the next few minutes we continued to talk nonstop while he showed me sales records and gave me another treatment to try. "Do you mind if I ask how old you are? You look fantastic." When I told him he went on and on about how well I kept myself. "You really need to come to my country. You would be a model there. All the women have dark eyes, skin and hair, but your light skin, blue eyes and red hair...oh, I just love this hair... you would be a sensation!" He was even more incredulous when I told him I was expecting child number four.

I told him that he was a fantastic salesman and I can spot a good one since I’m married to one. He told me to come back any time, gave me a big hug and extended the invitation to visit his country one more time.

I walked away glowing I'm sure and so were my nails. It was just five minutes or so but it was so much fun.

Did he make the sale? Are you kidding? If someone said all those things to you in the throws of an awful pregnancy in the middle of the day when you were exhausted and starving, wouldn't you have bought whatever he was selling?

Yea, I walked away with a bag in hand but what I really paid for was the joy he put in my heart.

6 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

That was very kind of you to stop. I never stop for the Dead Sea people. Of course, I'm usually pushing a stroller with one kid in it and two or three more tagging along. It frustrates me that they don't recognize that stopping is not practical in my situation.
But, I'm glad you had a pleasant experience and that he was so kind to you.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Oh I ran into one of these guys when I was in Hollywood California this past April. He said the same things to me. I had to tell him I needed to use the restroom ( which I did and I was 4 months preggo at the time myself) then I snuck out the back way so he wouldn't try to sell me anything again. The stuff feels nice though. Oh and my salesman was French...

2:04 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Ah yes, the Dead Sea people. I have bought their products before too. The only thing I would buy again is the little buffer cube if they would make one WITHOUT the toe nail grade "z" sandpaper and replace it with an extra "final buffer" that makes the nails so shiny but doesn't last very long. However, since I only go to the mall once every 5 or 6 months, I usually don't have time to stop and get my nails done and have products I don't have money for pitched almost irresistibly. My salesperson was a woman. She only did ONE nail. I have been thinking that if I stop there one day I will ask them to do ALL my nails - and if by the time I am finished with all of my mall errands they are still in good shape (with 6 kids in tow) I will buy something (should I tell them I will only buy the cube or just come back and only buy the cube?)

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amy, I got one of those kits as a gift and I really enjoy it. Nails really look nice! However I never got the friendly sales pitch. he he -

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I got the same one-finger lady that Kitty got. Only bad thing is that I had my nails polished, and before I could say "no" to her, she had removed the polish from that one finger. I was so upset that I didn't buy a thing, and I had to walk around the rest of the day with one unpolished nail and 9 polished ones. Actually, I was hoping you hadn't bought anything. I could've given it to you for Christmas.
Damma

5:51 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Ladies, I had no idea these people were everywhere. I stopped that day because all three were in school and I was for a brief moment, alone.

And Damma, if I had waited until Christmas the price would have doubled (this he swore to me - we'll see).

And, in case anyone is wondering, my nails still look great!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home