/> Raising Angels: A Day at the Dentist

Monday, May 08, 2006

A Day at the Dentist

Today I toted all three kids to the dentist. He's actually next door to their pediatrician so they call him the other doctor. His office is heavenly for all of my kids.

It's design is like a giant northern cabin in the woods. Leading up to the doors are bear tracks. Aiden and Mackenzie jumped out of the car anxious to get in. They asked if they could walk up the ramp while I carried Dawson up the stairs.

They were such a silly sight to see. They waddled and hopped from paw print to paw print until they reached the cabin doors and entered into the glorious waiting room, where the bears and bald eagles loomed overhead.

The main waiting room is lodge-like in appearance with a grand fireplace and cozy chairs. When I put Dawson down to sign the other two in, they all took off in different directions. Mackenzie skipped to the nature room that has a mountain of stairs and a video playing. Aiden ran to the video game area and Dawson shuffled into the play room.

This is the best office in town. The kids are free to play and always entertained so much that they hardly realize they're waiting. Although mine were excited, they were really being good and kind to the other kids.

While I sat in the waiting area watching the kids happily float together from one room to the next playing so great together, my eye caught another mother in the room. She had a 3 year old asleep on her shoulder, a 6 year old dressed like a toddler and crying like a baby about being at the dentist, and a pregnant belly. Her crying son would not settle down and never left his mother's side to play.

The hygenist came out and called, "Mackenzie and Aiden Parris!"

Aiden stopped dead in his tracks. "It's our turn mama!" he screached in his typical high, excited pitch. And took off running with Mackenzie to see who could be the first in line.

Aiden had X-rays, both had flouride, cleaning and a check from the dentist while Dawson and I watched. I could not have asked for them to be better. Each excitedly waited for their turn to lay on the table. Both kept their mouth open when told to. Neither complained or wiggled. They loved the hygenist and leaped for joy when Dr. Baker came in to check them out.

I got so many compliments on my three angels that instead of feeling overwhelmed by trying to keep them near me, I felt free to let them roam because their contagious smiles and friendly chatter were a great witness to my family of little angels.

At the check out counter we were next to the 6 year old boy, his brother and mother. He was still whimpering even when his mom said, "See that wasn't so bad was it?"

Mine instead were beaming and asking the receptionist when they could come back again. She was having so much fun with my crew that she wanted me to bring Dawson in for his first apointment sooner than the other two's next one.

As much as I loved it and as good as they all were, I did not want to press my luck. "No thanks. I'll just keep him on the same schedule so that we can get it over with in one fell swoop."

We marched out the doors and hopped down the bear tracks to the car.

Score one for the three best kids in the office today. And, one more for one proud mama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home