/> Raising Angels: National Day of Prayer

Thursday, May 04, 2006

National Day of Prayer

Tonight I took all three kids with me to our city's National Day of Prayer Service. Nelson was working on the house so I had to go it alone.

My dad called to say he saved us seats and we arrived just as it was starting and the color guard was presenting the flag.

We stood for the National Anthem and made our way to our seats. Dawson wanted to take off with the soldiers and I wouldn't let him. I grabbed him to keep him from being marched over.

There I was with a screaming child in the first moment of silence. Before I could even take my seat, I ran from the room with Dawson screaming all the way. I had to stand with him out in the rain to calm him down.

The Mayor was present along with other government officials and lots of area pastors. I'm sure it was a prayerful, powerful event for most. I spent the whole two hours on my feet chasing and trying to keep two little boys quiet. And, to tell the truth, I exhausted most of my prayer time praying that the service would end so I could get them home and to bed.

I think I understood Mother Teresa a little better tonight. There I was in a room full of people praying for big, national type things. I was praying for myself and my boys (and for the speaker to shorten the program). Maybe this is what she was talking aobut when she said that charity, prayer, and service should begin in the home...which is where I should have stayed tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

You never know of what you are capable, unless you try. This means, of course, that at some point you won't succeed; that's how you find the limit!

Several years ago I went to the 3 pm Good Friday Veneration of the Cross service with 3 little ones. That was definitely the limit for me. I spent most of the time outside (the vestibule was packed). After that, I coordinated babysitting so that other mothers could go without their children (and one year I went and left my kids!). And the last 2 years I've just done my own prayer service with the kids.

Some day it will be easy...of this I have hope.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home