/> Raising Angels: A Weighted Choice

Friday, March 04, 2022

A Weighted Choice

This morning started a bit earlier than most, as Felicity and I attended first Friday mass in our school gym. After a week of very short nights, it was tough, I'm not going to lie. However, I never regret doing it. It's a great way to start the school day and the kicker for the kids is that there is breakfast afterwards. Today, it seemed especially appropriate since we're in the first week of Lent. 


Mass also kicked off 40 hours of adoration in a new chapel in our neighborhood. Our bishop gave us permission to try these 40 hours of adoration quarterly to see if we have enough interest/participation to have the chapel become a perpetual adoration site. Walking to adoration? What a gift!

Before I realized it was Lent, I signed up to cover 5-6 PM. That means, I couldn't take the kids to the Stations of the Cross, which is a Lenten tradition for us. I got a text from one of my neighbors when I got home from school saying she was organizing a neighborhood Stations of the Cross at 5:30. What a great idea, I told her, but unfortunately, I can't do it because of adoration. "Send the kids!", was her generous response. 

I printed out the children's version of the Stations of the Cross she sent me and offered a choice to each of the kids - attend Adoration with me, or Stations of the Cross with the neighbors. "Neither," was both of the boys' response. 

"It's not optional," I explained. "It's Lent and this is what we're doing."

The next question, of course, was how much time each would take. When they discovered Stations of the Cross would be shorter, it was the obvious choice. That meant they would have to get themselves there since I would already be at adoration.  I gave Felicity this task, as she was the only one who chose to go willingly. I handed her the papers and set a timer on the oven. I walked out the door and prayed they would make the right decision.

I had a wonderful hour of adoration. I wanted to linger much longer than my allotted hour. There's just something so peaceful about being in Jesus' presence. However, I knew the kids would be hungry and so was I. 

I made it back to an empty house. I took that as a good sign. The kids came in a few minutes after I did. Their attitudes were changed and all were in good spirits. Well, Felicity was a little sad she didn't get picked to read one of the Stations, and her brothers each got to read two. "Maybe next time," I told her and got to cooking dinner. 

As I was cooking, my neighbor sent me a sweet text. "I have to sing your kiddos praises. They came to stations with great attitudes, participated and had far better behavior than any of the other kids!" Talk about a proud mama moment! 

I am grateful I have neighbors that do things like let my kids walk and pray the Station of the Cross with them. I am grateful my kids made the right choice and did it with a great attitude. I am grateful that my parents ingrained these traditions in me. I am even grateful for the season of Lent. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home