/> Raising Angels: A Very Full Day

Monday, February 28, 2022

A Very Full Day

Today was the last day for rehearsing for our regional literary competition. Dawson came into my class after we finished math and performed his piece. He wasn't excited about having fourth graders as an audience, but he didn't have any free time when I did, so we made it work. Max came to my class to practice through his lunch (my recess/planning time). Another teacher covered for me the last hour so I could work with three other girls. 

It was a full day compounded by getting stuff together for my sub, knowing Max had his first soccer game after school, as well as having household dinner that night. 

I arranged for a ride to the game for Max because he needed to be there by 3:30 and there was no way I could swing that. He ran into my room about 3:01. "Mama, PLEASE tell me you're going home. I can't feel my feet! These cleats are so tight!" These things happen when the first game happens before the first practice (that was cancelled), which was also the day before the game. Sigh...

I raced home and begged Dawson to help me go through their lockers to see if we had any cleats the size Max needed. When that didn't turn anything up, I ran up to the attic. Two bags of shoes later, I found two pair that might work, rushed Felicity to the car, and off to the game we went.

I arrived about 10 minutes before game time, and raced down the side of the field only to discover that someone found a pair and let Max use them. My heart rate slowed as I walked to the bleachers. The game went pretty well considering they hadn't played soccer in a very long time. It was nice to have an excuse to sit for a moment, watch Max, and chat with the other moms. 

We left immediately after the game so I could get dinner done before the guys arrived. Though it was simple (as in two of my kids asked what else I was making), it was done before everyone arrived. They were gracious enough to stay after dinner and let Max and Dawson practice one more time in front of an audience. 

I had every intention of getting to bed early since our leave time tomorrow is 5:50 AM, but one of the guys stayed late, the kitchen needed to be cleaned, Felicity had to be packed and picked up by my folks, and I needed to pack lunch for the four of us. I've found on nights like this, instead of being super depressed about how little sleep I will be getting, I just tell myself I'm about to take a really long nap. Works like a charm!

I'm grateful for our household and the wonderful relationships I've built with such amazing people. I'm grateful for a substitute who loves my class and is planning on making them a treat for tomorrow. I'm grateful for the opportunity to do what I love (drama) in small ways.  I'm also grateful that one day, I will be able to sleep. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home