/> Raising Angels: Valentines Party Day

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Valentines Party Day

We have the day off school tomorrow and Monday so today was the day we celebrated Valentines Day in class. I have a mom who is big on holidays. She always finds ways to make special days even more special for us. Consequently, I love all holidays and their amazing potential for joy. 

In the elementary school, kids get very excited about all holidays too. All week we've been decorating bags for their Valentines and last week we did our amazing heart project, so we were ready. There was an anticipation in the air. 

When the time finally came, it was a short bit of pandemonium as everyone passed out their treats. I loved their little faces as they dropped their things into my bag. It was a little bit of shy mixed with a lot of pride in their gifts. 

After they settled back down, I brought out my treat for them. "I made you a Valentines treat. It's something I bet none of you have ever had and I'd love for you to try it, because trying new things is good for you. It's totally okay for you not to like it," I assured them, as I have a few picky ones this year, "but I'd like you to at least give it a try." 

I was bombarded by questions about what "Valentines Dip" is and what is in it. I offered the dip with their choice of pretzels, animal and graham crackers...or all of the above. I figured, if they didn't like the dip, they'd at least get a snack. It was funny to me that they were befuddled by how to eat it. "Do we need spoons?" "Can we lick it?" "Do we use our hands?" 

"It's a dip," I explained. "You eat it with the other things like you eat chips and dip." A sigh of understanding went around the room as they dug in. 

"Mrs. Parris," one student asked, "is this our prize for February?" They know I do monthly scripture prizes and they figured I was killing two birds with one stone.

"No. This is not the scripture prize because everyone hasn't said it yet. This is just because I love you and wanted to do something special for you for Valentines Day." As the words, left my mouth I knew the potential they held. I still remember my fourth grade teacher and I loved her. I know the reality is that they won't remember many details about their days with me. What I hope and pray they do remember is my love for them. 

Today I'm grateful for all the little chances we get to show people we love them. I'm grateful Valentines Dip and cheesy cards. I'm grateful for a bag full of lollipops and AirHeads I will never eat. I'm grateful we have days to remind us to show our love to the people we love the most. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home