/> Raising Angels: Sometimes the Answer is No

Friday, February 04, 2022

Sometimes the Answer is No

This morning was a dark and dreary one. It was also VERY wet. As an elementary teacher, that's one of the worst kinds of days, because it means inside recess. That means that the two fifteen minute increments that I get to plan, grade and make copies are gone. It also means that I'm with the students...inside...all day. If you think rainy days are hard with a few little ones, try it with a dozen.

By the time I got home, all I wanted was some peace and quiet. I wanted to workout, do some laundry, and make dinner. By 3:15 Felicity was out the door and by 3:17 she was back...with friends.

"Umm, what are you doing Felicity?" I asked as her friends stood around her. 

"We're coming in to play," she responded as if she already knew my response. Admittedly, it's usually yes, because I have a hard time saying no.

"Not today," though is what I responded very matter-of-factly. 

"Why?" she asked with those big brown eyes.

"It's Friday, and I need some peace. Go outside and play today." In my defense, it had stopped raining before the end of school.

They were't too happy, but they obliged. I felt a little guilty, but I soon got over that as I let the quiet wash over me. I got everything on my list done that afternoon because of that decision.

I'm grateful that I've reached the point in my life (for the most part, on most days) where I know what I can and what I can't handle. I'm grateful to be okay with the fact that I'm with kids all day, every day, and some days, I need them to not congregate here. I'm grateful that sometimes the answer is no. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home