/> Raising Angels: Blizzards and Basketball

Thursday, February 03, 2022

Blizzards and Basketball

Max and his team had the second round of their basketball tournament tonight. My ordinarily glass half full kid was totally pumped. If they won this game, the championship was next, and he could taste victory. I loved watching his excitement. 

The team they faced was a much better team and everyone knew it. However, Max's team has had some games of brilliance this season, and when they are in the zone, miracles can happen. Whatever the case today, I prayed hard that they'd have that kind of game win or lose. 

That...is...not...what...happened.

By the beginning of the fourth quarter the whole team had a total of three baskets (all for 2) and some free throws. The other team was playing a full court press and then a stiff man-to-man defense that threw our boys for a loop. Not only were they not making baskets, they were not taking shots. They turned the ball over. They had a hard time rebounding. It was not their game. 

They played the whole game and never gave up though. The final quarter included two more baskets and a few free throws that inched the score closer. But, when the final buzzer sounded, we had a team full of VERY disappointed boys.

I hated watching it. At the table with the book, it's often even more painful. I know exactly how many shots they didn't take and how many they missed. The stats often tell a much bleaker story than the game. I wanted a miracle victory just like they did.

Instead, I hugged a boy fighting back tears. He knew too well how the game had gone. He knew it wasn't his night. And, he knew that's how the season ends. He didn't like it...and, neither did I.

I'm not grateful they lost, but I am grateful for the opportunity it provided to experience and learn one of life's hardest lessons. The road to success is paved with failure. The key is to keep your head up, move forward and work to get better. Perseverance is a necessary trait that is often best learned through defeat. 

I guess I am grateful that we don't always win. I'm grateful God continues to give us the opportunity to grow in humility and fight off pride. I'm also very grateful that my boy will still accept a condolence hug and a Blizzard to ease the pain. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home