/> Raising Angels: Everyone Needs a Cheerleader!

Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Everyone Needs a Cheerleader!

A few years ago, a friend of mine invited me to join a group workout challenge. It had been a while since I worked out regularly. Don't get me wrong, at the time I was working at a restaurant waiting tables and tending bar and some days I clocked close to ten miles just walking around. But it's not the same. I've always said that exercise is my Prozac. I NEED  it for my peace of mind. I've had some of my best prayer times on long runs and in gyms. Also, sometimes I'm just focused so intently on catching my breath that I can't think about anything else...which is kind of nice.

Long story short, I joined Beachbody on Demand and started a program called 80 Day Obsession. I mean seriously?! EIGHTY DAYS?!!! The workouts were anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour without any days off. I'm not sure how I did it, but I did. I guess having a dad who was a college coach instilled a bit of never give up attitude in me. That, and I think the 80 day program took me more like 85 days. I felt like a champ when I finished it. 

I've been working out with those programs ever since. It's hard to find an excuse not to workout when the gym is in your home. Quarantine was no big deal. My gym never closed. In fact, I got more workouts in. Oh, also, I've pretty much stuck to 30-45 minute workout programs since then. 

I'm doing a combination of two different dance programs right now - Barre Blend and Let's Get Up. The Barre class is one of the hardest workouts I've ever done. I've challenged my boys, who mock me sometimes, to join me because I'm pretty sure they would die. And Let's Get Up, let's just say it could be called Let's Sweat Profusely. Regardless of the effort involved, the leader of each class is so encouraging that it's kind of like having my own private cheerleader. 

"You're amazing!" they tell me as I'm struggling to catch my breath and keep my balance. "You can do this!", is another of their favorite phrases to which at times I respond, "YES! I can!", and others, "No way. You've got to be kidding me." Either way I respond, they keep cheering and it gets me through. 

I also wear an Apple Watch...mostly because it too cheers me on. Every morning a message pops up like, "Way to crush it yesterday Amy! You closed all your rings and then some." I, usually audibly, respond with, "Hey, thanks for noticing! I did kill it." My watch and I are becoming good friends. And, like all good friends, it also lets me know when I didn't do so great. "You're rings are behind for this time of the day," it will remind me as I sit at my desk grading papers. "You closed one ring yesterday. Let's go for more today." I'm not going to lie, sometimes, I want to tell my watch to shut up.

Either way, I'm grateful for the virtual cheerleaders in my life. Some days I just need to hear someone tell me that I'm great and that I need to be proud of giving it my all...even when they are people I've never met...or not people at all. 

We all need someone to cheer us on. As we grow, there are fewer and fewer opportunities to have that happen. We cheer for our kids, but we rarely cheer for each other. Let's look for some small way to cheer someone on in the next day or two. "I love your sweater! You look great in it." "I think it's amazing that you are going back to school at this point in life." "Way to make that deadline." It doesn't take any effort, just a little thought. It can make someone's day. And, sometimes, it plants a seed that will bring joy for days to come. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home