/> Raising Angels: A Birthday at a Bar

Monday, February 07, 2022

A Birthday at a Bar

Tonight I attended a birthday party for a friend who turned 80. I love saying that she's my friend. The truth is that she's the mother of one of my best friends, who is now my friend. She volunteers in our school office once a week and it just so happens that's the day my class has PE, so I usually get to chat with her while I'm making copies. 

She's the mother of 10 and they were the ones who threw the party for her. It was at a local bar where her youngest son works. How great is that? When we sang to her, she stood on the legs of a bar stool so she would be elevated. She promised that when she turns 90, she'll stand on the bar. 

Hers is a life poured out - in service, in love, in hard work, and joy. The fruit was evident tonight as most of her kids and grandkids (well, the ones old enough for the bar scene) were there to celebrate with her.

Today, I 'm grateful I've been able to be a very small part in that life well lived. She shows no signs of slowing down. I'm grateful for that too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home