/> Raising Angels: To Super Bowl or not to Super Bowl? That is the question.

Sunday, February 13, 2022

To Super Bowl or not to Super Bowl? That is the question.

I grew up as the only girl in my family. I have three brothers. My dad was long time athletic director and coach at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.  He's in the Hall of Fame there for his women's basketball coaching success. He was also responsible for starting their hockey program. Needless to say, I grew up around sports. 

Even after we left Huntsville, my family watched a lot of sports on TV. We never missed an Olympics or a Braves' game. My dad coached my brothers' basketball teams and I was his statistician. Even though I was much more fond of drama and dancing, I played many sports as well. 

Fast forward to my life now. I have no idea who's on the Braves any more. That flabbergasts my mother. I have to explain to her that I don't have four to five hours a day to devote to 60 games. We have not seen one Olympic event this go around. We watch Alabama football games and my boys and I often watch basketball, but that's the extent of things. We're mostly busy doing, not watching.

Tonight, everyone but Felicity and I was watching the Super Bowl at various places. I was toying with the idea of turning the game on...and then I realized, I didn't care. I haven't watched an NFL game in I don't know how long. I may catch a glimpse here and there since my boys tune in to see how their fantasy teams are doing, but I certainly don't sit down and watch a whole game. Shoot, I hardly get to do that for Alabama football games which I love (seems people like to eat during the game and guess who makes the food). 

I looked at Felicity after dinner and said, "Hey, if you take a shower now, you and I can have a movie night since nobody else is here." She emphatically agreed and hopped in the shower as she begged me to make popcorn. As we settled in for the movie, I wondered if I should feel guilty. Then, I decided, I didn't need to. 

I'm grateful to have reached a point in my life where I am capable to make choices because I want to, without worrying about what people will think. I am not successful all the time, mind you, but I'm getting better and better. I'm grateful for movie nights and the fact that I still have someone young enough who thinks it's fun to hang out with me. I'm also grateful for popcorn and movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home