/> Raising Angels: Brotherly Love

Saturday, February 19, 2022

Brotherly Love

I was fourteen when my brother Kevin was born. I prayed for years and years and years for a sister. And then one day, I must have gotten desperate, because my mom said I started praying for her just to have another baby. I don't remember that specific prayer, but she does, because not soon after that, she found out she was pregnant. 

Kevin and I have enjoyed a special relationship through the years. I think the fact that I moved out when he was in those dreaded middle school years helped a lot. He was my companion in my single years, my excuse to go see the latest Disney movie, and the reason I toted Mackenzie to many a soccer and basketball game. 

When he moved away for college, he was faithful to call me regularly and check in with my kids. He's continued to support them as they've grown. It was no surprise that he showed up at Dawson's game last night.


I was impressed his new wife (and my new sister-in-law) came along. The score and the outcome didn't matter to them. They just wanted to see him play. I love that.

Felicity and I drove to their house after the game so I didn't have to drive back home in the wee hours by myself. It was late by the time we arrived, but we toured his renovations and Felicity talked us into watching Encanto. She promptly fell asleep and I don't know about Ang, but I not only stayed awake, I cried through the end. 

The next morning Ang headed to Greenville for her niece's 13th birthday, but not before she sat and chatted with Felicity and me. Felicity then woke Kevin and the three of us went to brunch. We dropped Kevin back home and headed home ourselves. 

Though there wasn't any huge event we were celebrating (like a marriage in Tuscany), or any party to attend (like a couples' shower or engagement party), we were totally happy to be cuddled up on the couch just hanging out. There's something about being with family that is always special no matter the circumstances. 

I'm grateful for my brother and his wife and their hospitality. I'm grateful for all of the little moments we've been able to share through the years. I'm grateful we have a lifetime of those still to experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home