/> Raising Angels: Seasons Change

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Seasons Change

Today was the first Saturday in a very long time I can remember being free of commitments. Because of the weather, the basketball games scheduled for this morning were cancelled. When I got that text this morning, I was so very grateful.

I've been waiting for a day to put away my Christmas decorations. I never look forward to doing this for two reasons: one, it takes the better part of the day to do it, and two, it's kind of sad. I absolutely love the Advent and Christmas seasons, with all of their joy and potential. This year, especially, I had that BIG intention that I focused two novenas on and so I was full of hope too. And, well, the house shows that joy and hope and potential. It's festive, very festive.

Taking it all down makes a big mess - boxes coming up and down from the attic, Christmas glitter and garland remnants cover the floor, furniture needs to be moved, and Christmas leftovers and leaves need to be swept off the porches. And, it's like pulling teeth to get any help. They don't like to see the festive atmosphere go either (also, they're not big fans of work).

Felicity and I decided to indulge in some hot chocolate as we put the nativity figures in their boxes. I figured that we may need to put Christmas up, but we can still hang on to it a little bit. I took the second sip of mine, and I'm not sure how I managed it, but I choked...like couldn't catch my breath and when I did, Mackenzie and Felicity were so worried, they were getting ready to call for help. Tears were in my eyes when I finally stopped the sputtering and hacking. I could barely speak, but I said the words, "I'm okay," which they totally did not believe as it's not too convincing to say those words as you're coughing and tears are running down your face.

As I headed to my room later that night through my now clean, but rather empty house, "Aww...", I said, "this always makes me just a little sad."

Max, who was standing there, agreed. "I know, me too. Why can't you just always leave it up?" Now that was a two-fold response, as he had just finished taking a huge load of boxes to the attic for me. 

"If we did that, we wouldn't enjoy the change of seasons so much," I reminded him.

As I was praying tonight, it occurred to me that there may be a lesson here. There are seasons for everything. Some seasons, albeit, are better than others, but there's always hope (at least there should be). Just because I think God should do something in one season, doesn't mean He can't do it in another one instead. When we...ahem, I...try to hang on to a season that is passing, I find myself in some big messes (some that involve trying to catch my breath while I'm choking). 

I don't think God made me choke. He's not like that. I do think, however, He was trying to get my attention. Sure this next season doesn't appear to be filled with the potential for joy and hope like the last one was, but it is. They all are. God can do anything He wants, whenever He wants. He wants me to choose hope. He wants me to keep praying. He wants me to move forward, to grow, to change, and to enjoy that change. 

Tonight I'm grateful for new seasons. I'm grateful for the gift of hope in all of them. 

Also, I'm grateful I didn't choke to death on hot chocolate. :-)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home