/> Raising Angels: This Kid Wins the Prize

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

This Kid Wins the Prize

Last week at our household dinner, which now includes an extra ten adults and one child, Dawson mentioned that he thought chicken and dumplings would be a great idea for this week. The gang agreed and I let Dawson know that it probably wouldn’t happen. It’s a very labor intensive meal and I’m never sure what kind of day Felicity will have. Planning a six hour meal is risky at best.

Today, when he walked in from school, Dawson asked, “What are you cooking Mama? It smells so good.”

“Chicken and dumplings,” was my reply as I continued tearing apart the cooked chicken.

“How long have you been working on this?” he wanted to know.

“All day,” I answered honestly because for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to shop for the meal the day I made it.

“Thank you Mama,” he said so sincerely it made my heart melt. He was walking away when he turned suddenly wanting to know, “Didn’t you say you wouldn’t make this again?”

“Probably.”

“Then why are you making it?”

“Because you like it,” I said looking into his giant eyes.

He smiled and walked away again. But before he left the room he turned one last time. “You know Mama, it’s not always all about us.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home