/> Raising Angels: My Valentine

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Valentine

Nelson and I decided many years ago that in lieu of gifts on Valentine's Day, we would do something together. This to me seemed the most appropriate gift of all.

We started out at local bed and breakfasts, spending a few glorious hours away from everything and everyone but us. Some years it's been much less grand but every bit as wonderful.

This year since we have the Vegas trip coming up, we decided to use that as our big outing (um...yeah, duh). However, we couldn't let the day go by without acknowledging it.

I fed the kids, gave them their Valentines and let them...wait for it...watch a movie on a school night. With the troops in bed and a cousin willing to sit in the quiet, we headed to the nicest restaurant that was within a 5 minute radius from our house.

The evening included a giant pomegranate/blueberry martini for me, a Maker's and ginger for Nelson and the Bavarian fritters he has been craving for weeks. We sat and talked and laughed.


I love that Nelson is still my favorite person to be with. I love that I know him better than anyone else. I love that the thought of time with him still makes my heart skip a beat. And I love that one day a year I am given a great excuse to let him know that.

I hope your Valentine's Day was full of love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home