/> Raising Angels: A Day of Ups and Downs

Monday, January 28, 2008

A Day of Ups and Downs

Today I was in an appliance store desperately trying to listen to the salesman teach me about the world of washers and dryers as the boys took to the wide open spaces like caged animals let loose for the first time in years.

I was frustrated by their disobedience but at the end of our stay, which was close to an hour, the salesman complimented me by saying, "You have the patience of Job."

From there we went to Lowe’s to get the wood stain for our walk-in closet. Here again the boys went over the edge. By the end they were hitting each other and crying because I reneged on the surprise offered for their good behavior.

There I talked to one of the nicest employees in the place. He too was patient with the boys and told me what I needed to know about staining and protecting the wood. He was quick to offer assistance and actually took the products off the shelf and put them in the cart for me.

The next errand was to drop the supplies off at the house. There the boys helped me carry in the gallons of stain. We got to see my cook top installed and I got excited just standing looking at my counterless cabinets knowing that the countertops were coming in right behind me.

Nelson told me yesterday, "Twenty more days," as he left to "get his ox out of a ditch" and work on the house on the day of rest. It's always so hard for me to see him go, but he's comforted me over the last few weeks saying in earnest, "The end is near. It's almost over."

Tonight when he left yet again, he was talking to the tile guy who was working at the house. He hung up and said, "Rick said the counters look incredible!" I wanted to jump in the car and go over to see them but I knew that would mean re-bathing the kids and a late bed time. Nelson walked out the door saying, "We're getting so close."

And tonight, if only for a few moments...I actually believed him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home