/> Raising Angels: Target Trouble

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Target Trouble

Today I was trying to knock a few things off my list before leaving the country. I was in Target (because I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart even though it's going to kill me) when I was hit with a very weird thing.

I rushed to the bathroom with both boys in tow. I chose the handicapped stall so they would have some room to walk around. Twenty minutes later, after having stomach cramps, sweating buckets, shivering like a leaf and thinking I might pass out, I decided it was time to call someone. I feared I wouldn't be able to walk out of the place let alone drive my boys home.

I tried my mom, the nurse, and couldn't reach her. Then my phone started beeping low battery. I called Nelson and in a whisper told him I was sick and I needed him to call my mom and get me some help.

Minutes later (now at 25 total bathroom minutes and the boys asking, "What's wrong mama? You okay mama? Are you finished?") a Target employee came in and asked if there was anything she could do. I was humiliated but knew I needed help so I asked her to take my boys.

Of course then I thought, 'What if she takes them? Why did I do that?' I tried desperately to get myself together and by the time I was able to actually stand on my own, she was back...with my boys.

I made my way over to the bench to sit down and in walked Nelson. I sent him to get me some juice (as this had happened once before). Next his mom walked in. I hadn't even thought to call her. She works right around the corner. She sat with me and the boys while Nelson was away. By the time Nelson got back, my mom showed up.

Of course now I was attracting quite a few looks. Mom strapped the blood pressure cup to my arm as people slowed down to stare.

"Well yeah," she said as she unwrapped the cuff, "your pressure is 80."

"You mean that's the top number?" Nelson asked. "What's the bottom one."

"Zero," was her reply. "And that's coming up from what I'm sure it was while she was in the bathroom."

Well at least I know there was a reason I felt so bad. But that didn't change the fact that I was a bit embarrassed by all the attention, not to mention I felt bad that I had drawn so many people away from their day.

But the more I thought about it the more blessed I felt. I don't know a lot of people who can manage to have 3 family members race to their rescue at the drop of a hat. Even though I felt bad about feeling bad, I felt really loved and protected.

Some decent amounts of fluid later, I am feeling better. But mostly I'm feeling really, really fortunate to have a family who is there for me when I need them the most.

Thank you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I'm glad you're okay, Amy. Sounds like you need some rest...

6:29 AM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

You have no idea how lucky you are, to have them all so close by. What a great blessing. I hope you have a quick recovery.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh, Amy! That sounds terrible!

And yet, as you mentioned, how wonderful that you were able to see how truly loved you are. It reminds me of the quote "The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears."

Hope you're feeling better.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks so much ladies. I'm feeling much better today. I'm also feeling round two of the love from my online family!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home