/> Raising Angels: All Is Not Lost

Thursday, September 21, 2006

All Is Not Lost

It was another rough morning with Aiden. In fact it's been a rough year. The "terrible two's" are nothing. It's the terrible three's that are a trial by fire.

Just for future reference, I love Aiden dearly. He has the most bubbly, friendly, energetic personality. He has great manners, loves his siblings and is showing signs of impressive intelligence.

On the other hand, he is strong-willed and exceptionally emotional. Unfortunately for me most of his outbursts happen in very public places. I'm guessing this is God's way of telling me that I still don't have this humility virtue down.

It dawned on me the other day that maybe instead of praying so much for him, I should start praying more for myself and the grace and wisdom to make it through this stage.

This is a stage. We will get through it. We will be better for it. If I'm wrong about this, please don't tell me. It's the only thing that gets me through some moments.

But, God being God always knows how to pick me up. During the time we were dealing with this morning’s outburst in yet another public place, I discussed with him that fact that Jesus is in his heart. He knows when we are being disobedient. When we act out in these ways, we make Jesus sad. He didn't turn around immediately but he did make it into his catechism class.

On the way home in the car I told him that I was very disappointed in his behavior. I told him that I was glad he changed his mind and decided to participate in the class and that I hoped that he would do better next week.

He thought for awhile and then asked me, "Mama, is Jesus right here," pointing to his chest, "in my heart?"

Relieved that at least something positive had come from the morning, I enthusiastically said, "Yes, Aiden. He lives right there in your heart."

He looked down a moment, looked back up and asked, "He don't want me to squish him?"

I laughed and thanked God. All is not lost.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

It DOES get better. I recommend the book: Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. It has some great recommendations for coping with children who seem "difficult." Sometimes, all it takes is help in identifying exactly what it is that the child feels he needs and learning to yield, as a parent, to certain preferences if it's possible. For example, when my second son was 3, he absolutely could not tolerate shorts and short-sleeved shirts. It really irritated him to the point of perceived physical pain. Most of the time, I let him wear long clothing, even on the hottest days. Not battling THAT made the rest of our day so much better. This book goes through different areas and helps a parent determine how her child is "spirited".

Billy continues to be "spirited" but when I look at how he was at 3, I recognize that he has come a long way. I'm trying to be patient with his progress.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That was so sweet!! And so profound, at the same time. Yes--when we do something wrong, we "squish" Jesus.

Michelle, my daughter had a thing about coats when she was younger. I thanked God for ponchos, for at least a year. We would have gone completely nuts without them.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

It's so nice to know that I'm not alone.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home