/> Raising Angels: Sick Day

Friday, June 09, 2006

Sick Day

Last night as we were loading into the car to head home from gymnastics I felt Dawson's little tummy begin to heave. I turned just in time for him to literally explode all over the parking lot. Not one time but three. I had no idea a stomach that size could hold so much.

Throwing up has never been something I tolerate well. I mean if I hear it, see it, or smell it, I heave as well. And, oh yeah, I’m a big baby when I’m the one throwing up. I was hoping for some grace in that area when it involved my own kids but as it turns out, I usually gag right along with them. I hate it.

This time however I managed to hold up with no gagging and only about an hour of residual nausea. That probably had to do with the fact that both of us were relatively unscathed considering how much he let out. In fact, I actually said, "Thank you Jesus. At least he didn't throw up in the car on the expressway!"

Once home he seemed to be fine and woke up this morning happy and begging for food. He munched quite contently on a waffle while we all said goodbye to Nelson, who left today for the weekend.

We made big plans to keep busy while Nelson is away. Today we were going to hit the library, and have lunch at Chuck E. Cheese to celebrate one week of total success in potty training for Aiden. Tomorrow we planned to head to the lake with a friend.

After feeding and dressing everyone, I glanced at the clock to see that it was only 8 a.m. "Hey guys," I shouted. "We have time to make it to church today. Everybody find your shoes and meet me at the door."

There we all were in the car, dressed for the day, shoes on and heading to daily mass. I was so thankful for this opportunity. It was a good sign for the weekend.

And then, I heard a little whine from the backseat and looked in the rearview mirror in time to see Dawson throwing up again...and again....and again! We turned the corner, went around the block and pulled back into the driveway.

I wish I knew why these things happen. I really wish I knew why they always seem to happen at big moments for Dawson. I wish I knew how Nelson manages to be out of town. I wish I were with him.

Okay so we didn't make mass. In fact we didn't make it anywhere. The kids were very disappointed we didn't make Chuck E. Cheese.

I did get all three car seats taken apart, washed and put back together (although I thought I would lose my sanity doing it!). The car got cleaned out and a load of laundry got done so that the house would no longer smell like vomit.

In reality I guess it was just another unpredictable day in the life of a mother. Here's hoping it was really just for one day, that Nelson gets back home safely and that next time, I'm the one out of town!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWWW..Poor things...Both of you. I hope he feels better...Is it the stomach virus or the flu? I hope your weekend improves. Maybe once Nelson gets home and Dawson feels better.. you should hire a sitter and you and Nelson go out. I think you should have a well deserved break!!! <3 :-)

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home