/> Raising Angels: Next Summer...

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Next Summer...

Last summer at this time I got very overwhelmed. Mackenzie and Aiden had been going to school twice a week and baby Dawson was not old enough to attend. When that ended, I wondered how in the world I would be able to get anything done while watching my 4 year old, 1 year old and 7 month old.

Those feelings combined with the fact that I realized that it was my last time with Mackenzie before she went off to school for real, sent me into a tail spin. I wanted to spend some quality time with Mackenzie before she left me forever (at least that's the way it felt). I also wanted the kids to have a fun summer.

My solution was to hire a sitter one morning a week so that Mackenzie and I could have some one on one time. We also spent a lot of time at the pool. Don't ask me how I did that with three kids who couldn't swim at the beginning of the summer. I think God has removed most of that from my memory. Needless to say, my mantra was, "Next summer it will be easier."

This summer I was actually excited about school being over (okay, a little scared too...but mostly excited). Mackenzie learned how to swim last summer and actually remembered it this summer. Aiden, who used to scream bloody murder (NOT an exaggeration) any time his feet didn't touch the bottom, took off for the deep end in his little life jacket and refused my help. Granted, I watch him like a hawk and he still gets a little scared when he runs into traffic or big splashes, but it's much better.

Last night as I was gathering up the towels and holding on to the squirming boys, another mother said, "I always forget to bring my book to the pool." I just looked at her and laughed.

Going to the pool with the kids is fun. It is memorable. It is also hard work. It is not relaxing. It is VERY far from being able to put my feet up in a lounge chair and read a book. It is easier than last summer though.

And, you know what? Next summer will be easier!

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Moms read books at the pool? Wow. Something to look forward to...in about ten years...

1:26 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Moms read books????? THe only thing I can manage to read nowadays is the title of a book I have in the bathroom before someone yells "Mommmmmmyyyyy!"

3:06 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

So glad to know I'm not the only one. Maybe someday in the very far future, we can all join a book club together!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm only an older sister and I have the exact same problem!!! Yeah my mom may be at the pool with me but I certainly cannot read a book there. If a sibling needs "rescued" can you guess who gets to do the "rescuing" ???? :-) hehe!!!

And yes I think next year will be easier!!!! :-)

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home