/> Raising Angels: Brothers

Friday, June 02, 2006

Brothers


My youngest brother, Kevin, came over last night and spent a better part of the evening with us. He came to say goodbye to the kids, because he is heading back to Athens this morning.

After I put the boys to bed, the two of us sat at the computer for some time. We looked through some of my pictures that he wanted to upload onto his Facebook page. We looked at his pictures while he told me stories about his friends and his life at college.

After he left, I was so thankful that he still enjoys spending time with me. He is after all, 14 years my junior. I was his second mom when he was a baby. And even though my mom was very worried that he was a boy, since I had prayed so long for a sister, God managed to endear him to me...and no it's not just because of his red hair.

Here is a young man who is entering his junior year at UGA. He's a member of a fraternity and exceptionally active in all kinds of campus life, including the Catholic Center. Still, with all that's going on, he calls my house several times a week to speak to the kids. He never misses an opportunity to come and see them while he's in town.

I'm so grateful that he still calls me for prayers for his tests, help on his papers, and to let me know what's going on in his life. I'm happy he feels free to bring his friends to my house. I'm glad he likes spending time with me. I enjoy spending time with him. I always have.

I know it is a gift to be the only and oldest among three brothers. I didn't always feel this way but time has proven this true. I can honestly say that my brothers are my greatest friends. I pray that we will always remain this way.

And, hopefully, one day Mackenzie will say the same about her brothers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Ya'll are like, identical! Do all of you siblings have that red hair?

7:19 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Just me and Kevin. The two in the middle are blondes.

My mom had four sonograms showing her a little girl before Kevin was born. She ended up with an emergency C-section and the last minute sonogram showed boy.

As she was being wheeled into the operating room, a friend layed hands on her stomach and prayed, "...and oh, dear Lord, if this can't be a sister for Amy, at least let him have red hair."

Just one more reason I believe in the power of prayer.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home