/> Raising Angels: Happy Anniversary Nelson!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Happy Anniversary Nelson!

Eight years ago today I married the man of my dreams and the answer to my prayers.

Ever since I can remember, I have always wanted to be married. When I pretended, besides being a movie star, I played house and school constantly. Certainly, I prayed long and hard through all the vocations but, in my heart of hearts, what I wanted was a husband.

Every time my heart got broken by some guy I was dating, my mom would always tell me to think about what I liked the most about that guy. Whatever that quality was, she told me, I should put it on my list of requirements for the man I would spend my life with.

By the time I was 24 I had quite a list. But, after many years of angst and teary speeches about how I would never get married, I gave up worrying about it. I abandoned myself to God and whatever His will was for my life...that and I prayed a serious novena to St. Joseph for a good husband.

In waltzed Nelson. He was everything I was looking for…and so much more. It sounds funny, but I knew he was the man I was going to marry the second time I was with him. He, quite literally, was the answer to my prayers.

When you've been married to someone for eight years, it's sometimes hard to pinpoint what exactly it is about them that you love. I'm going to try.

Nelson, I love that we share our faith. I love that you want to do the Lord's will. I love the way you love me. I love that you are the one who made me a mother and I love the way you love our children. I love that you are not embarrassed to be affectionate in front of other people. I love that you still tell me that I look beautiful. I also love that you love me enough to tell me the truth even when I don't want to hear it. I love your positive attitude and the way you make me feel like everything will always be alright. I love that we can finish each other's sentences. I love the way you dance and I really love that you'll dance with me at a wedding, on the beach or in the middle of the street.

I love that you make me want to be a better person. I love that you asked me to marry you. And I love that you have committed yourself to me until death do us part.

Nelson, I love you...everything about you. Happy Anniversary!

3 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Creates said...

Hi there!

My name is Celeste. I don't know you but have read your blog several times. Today I was choked up as I read your entry. Happy Anniversary! You sounded so much like me! This July we will be married 8 years. I remember so desiring marraige and children and struggling with the "What if that isn't his plan for me?" I too thought about the other vocations. But much like you when I stopped looking, turned everything over to God and started praying in walked Brian. Praise God.

Congratulations and I hope the stmach bug has left the premises.

Celeste
Friendswood, TX

3:20 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Abandonment to God's will always yeilds the best fruit!

The bug has made its way through all of the kids and me but is still lingering with Nelson.

We decided to celebrate the anniversary next week. Hopefully, all will be well by then.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Amy, I have enjoyed your blog and always find encouragement and a challenge to be a better person when I visit.

Your anniversary post looks like something I could write about my husband. I,too, stopped worrying about my vocation right before Ian appeared. I, too, knew right away that he was the one. I, too, thought I had a vocation elsewhere before I met him.

We are celebrating our 10th his year, and have 6 children (plus 2 in heaven), but it feels like we are still on our honeymoon. Only better, because we really love each other more every day.

Happy Anniversary! I hope Nelson feels better soon.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home