/> Raising Angels: Round Two of Sick Day

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Round Two of Sick Day

Well here's an update from Casa de Parris.

Dawson slept until 10 this morning so I called my friend to tell her we were going to give the lake a shot. He wasn't throwing up or running a fever and I thought the water and sand would be a great distraction.

The thirty minute ride was great. We sang and talked the whole way. I was so thankful for a peaceful ride and good children.
When we got out of the car, however, things quickly changed. My normally happy and independent Dawson refused to walk and demanded to be carried along with the heavy beach bag, backpack of dry clothes and cooler filled with drinks and snacks.

He didn't like walking in the sand or even playing in the water. I began to feel guilty for bringing him out. Obviously, he wasn't himself.

In spite of Dawson, Mackenzie and Aiden were thrilled to be there. They both took off into the water so far that I had to call them back. They hunted for shells and dug in the sand.

By the time we ate lunch it was so hot and Dawson was so fussy that I decided to call it a day after only about 2 hours. Both boys were asleep before I could buckle their seatbelts.
When Aiden woke up from his nap he seemed quite chipper. Then he began to complain of his stomach. He said he was going to throw up which, by the way, he often does whenever someone else is sick. I brought him into the bathroom and he hung over the toilet, coughed and said, "I'm finished."

Just then the phone rang and it was my brother Aaron calling from Italy. I had no sooner said hello than Mackenzie ran in to tell me that indeed Aiden was throwing up. I handed the phone off to her and found Aiden throwing up in the bathroom, right NEXT to the toilet but all over the floor, rug and sink.

He then proceeded to throw up five more time in the next hour and a half. He was so pathetic. Everytime he was about to throw up he would say, "I don't want to throw up. I feel better."

Every time I gave him some ginger ale, he threw up minutes later so I cut him off. Oh, then even more pathetic. "Please I have a drink now mama," he would whine. "I feel better now," was his mantra until I finally put him to sleep in my bed.

So far there’s been no movement from him. Hopefully the worst is over. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some sleep tonight. Hopefully God will either give me the grace to deal with this without gagging or miraculously prevent my children from ever throwing up again.

I know that ours is not to question why, but really Lord, why?

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Aww, so sorry the kids are sick. I hope everyone is better soon.

I barely manage to not get sick too. Especially if it gets in the car and the residual smell lingers (I have a very sensitive nose).

This too shall pass...

8:39 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

It's passing now..through the whole house...one...by...one....by...one!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Suzanne Di Silvestri said...

There are few things worse for a mother to endure than multi-child stomach flu. I am praying for your family, that this passes quickly (and that you don't catch this bug yourself).

People often ask me, "How do you do it with 5 kids?" My stock answer is "After 3 kids it doesn't matter how many you have, except when they all have the stomach flu. Then it becomes painfully obvious." :-)

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home