/> Raising Angels: One "Yes" Too Many?

Monday, May 22, 2006

One "Yes" Too Many?

It's been incredibly busy here at the House of Parris lately. I've fallen into my old habit of saying yes to everything and now am paying for it.

Over the past week and still to come this is what's going on: throwing a shower all by myself for my brother's fiancé, attending an ordination, signing kids up for summer programs, gathering thank you letters for a retiring principal, organizing the 25th anniversary celebration of our school this Saturday, cooking dinner for a recovering friend, chaperoning an end of year swim party, helping at field day, attending a shower for my brother, getting teacher gifts, first round of gymnastics classes, last day of school...and oh yeah, taking care of my kids, husband and home.

See what I mean? This was my life prior to marriage up until baby #3. Truth is I love to serve. Other truth is I hate to say no. I gained some wisdom after Dawson that allowed me to turn down a number of things. Somehow, when he turned 18 months old, I lost that ability to know when it's too much.

Here's the positive side. I feel like I'm making a difference in a small, tiny, tiny way. Everything on the list is fairly short term. And, there's not one thing on that list that I regret saying yes to... I just wish I would have spaced them out a little better.

Ah, live and learn...sometimes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I feel that my own mother was never involved in anything when I was a kid (she had 5 kids and worked full-time much of the time). I felt deprived. So sometimes I think I go overboard for my own kids and do too much. Or, yes, I want to serve too, and want everything to be perfect for everybody else, so I work hard to the detriment of my own family. But then there is balance: school is almost over and I plan on taking it easy this summer. You should too!

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home