/> Raising Angels: Time for a Little Bragging

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Time for a Little Bragging


She did it! Whoo Hoo and Hooray! I am so proud of her.

Nine months of school, nine monthly scriptures, ALL MEMORIZED, as of ten minutes ago.

This is an optional activity for the elementary students at Mackenzie's school. All have been pretty sizeable scriptures - at least 8 verses. It may not sound like much but open up your Bible and take a look. When's the last time you memorized that much scripture at one time?

For me it was today, since in order for her to learn it, I did too. Besides, I figured it wasn't very fair for me to ask her to do it if I couldn't.

I must admit that when she brought the first one home I wondered how in the world they expected the little ones to memorize something that long. Couldn't they shorten it for the younger ones at least? Then I wondered if it was worth the effort because believe me, doing this took A LOT of effort on Mackenzie's part.

Then the Holy Spirit gave me an inspiration. Mackenzie loves to sing. Why not put the verses to songs that she loves? It worked like a charm and the best part is that she can still recite most of them even though once we turn it in (always on the last day possible) we never practice it again - with the exception of showing off to the family.

Now I see the benefit. Spending that much time around scripture can only bring positive fruit. When you work on something almost daily it stays in your mind. Even if she doesn't fully understand all of it, it is becoming a part of who she is. And, on more than one occasion she has taken in a situation that is going on and recited part of a verse to me that fit it perfectly. What more could a parent ask for?

So now my little angel, the smallest one in Kindergarten, has accomplished a mighty feat. Not only is she is the only Kindergartner to memorize the verses, but she is also one of only a handful of students in the entire elementary school to do it!

Let's hear it for Mackenzie! Hip, Hip, Hooray!

As a foot note, I promised her a REALLY BIG SURPRISE if she did all 9 monthly scriptures. Any suggestions for something special and out of the ordinary as a reward?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Mackenzie!!!! Woo Hoo!!! I am thoughroly impressed!!! :-)

Usually in our house, if you win a sizable reward, then that person has a "mommy day." (or a "grammy day" With grandma.) That normally consists of lunch and a movie. Just mommy and the winner. :-)

5:44 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I was going to suggest a special lunch with just mom too.

OR, splurge on the whole family and go to some place with kiddie rides (in NJ, it would be the Boardwalk) or take everybody to the movies (making sure everyone knows that it is being done because the one child did something extra great). The one advantage of a whole family reward for one child's fantastic feat is that the other family members will support and assist the future successes of their siblings since they "win" too.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Michelle, I like your idea!

I was going to suggest a religious prize, like a new Veggie Tales movie.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BAMA IS SOOOOO PROUD!!!!!

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That's outstanding. I had a hard enough time getting my two to learn the ones they get graded on!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks everyone. I'll pass on your praises.

I'm waiting for school to be over before we celebrate. I'll let you know what we decide to do.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home