/> Raising Angels: Stations of the Cross

Friday, March 03, 2006

Stations of the Cross

Tonight I took the kids with me to the Stations of the Cross.

I'm always a bit disappointed in the turnout. We belong to a very large parish that has four full masses every Sunday but the Stations of the Cross are always poorly attended.

The one I attend takes place at 6:30 p.m., which is a rather difficult time. For most it's in the middle of the getting home from work, eating dinner or getting the kids ready for bed. I'll be the first to tell you, going with all three kids is always a challenge.

Tonight was no different. Although, I did manage to keep them all in the church the whole 30 minutes. I also managed to catch the responses every time we got to the part about how I know how much I've sinned and hurt Jesus.

Most people who attended did not have any young children with them. However, two friends of mine from high school were there. One with her four children and the other with her five children. It brought back memories of when our families used to bring us with them to the Stations.

Hmm...maybe it is worth making a little sacrifice to attend Stations with your children. It seems that down the road it bears pretty good fruit.

Hopefully, one day, my kids will be bringing their squirming, noisy children to the Stations of the Cross. And their kids will do the same. And the faith will live on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 5 siblings and we do the same thing! Although there are alot of people who homeschool in our parish (including us!) so there are alot of little children in mass and at the stations of the cross! I love to watch the little kids (like ages three of four) When they look at every one around them kneeling and praying and then they copy them, while peeking out of the corner of their eyes to see what to do next!
Or....I love it when they copy you while saying the rosary. They kneel next to you and just make a perpetual noise that they think sounds like a prayer und then kind of zone out after the first decade or two!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

I felt that feeling myself when my oldest was my only child and almost two years old. I had been taking her with me to my once a week Adoration time thinking she wasn't getting much out of it.

Then, one day as I walked in and knelt down to bow and make the sign of the Cross, she followed suit without any promptings from me at all. It was so exciting.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home