/> Raising Angels: Give It Up For Lent!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Give It Up For Lent!


Mackenzie's teacher celebrates half birthdays of the students who have birthdays in the summer. I've never heard of this before so I was a bit surprised when I got the call on Monday asking me if I was coming to her class today. After trying to explain that Mackenzie's birthday is August 29th and not February 29th. She explained the celebration to me and I said that I would do it.

At first it seemed a bit of a diochotomy to celebrate on Ash Wednesday, but Mackenzie was so excited that I couldn't say no.

I went to the class and led them in singing "Happy Birthday" to her. Mackenzie and I passed out the cookies we had made (and that I could not eat). And after that, they demonstrated the cheer that they had made up for the Spirit Day at school.

As I thought about this today, I decided it was more than appropriate. Why shouldn't we celebrate every occasion to grow closer to Jesus? Why shouldn't we cheer the fact that we will force ourselves to be less self-centered and more disciplined? Why not?

Okay, now join with me:

Two, Four, Six, Eight! Lenten time is really GREAT! Hooray Jesus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home