/> Raising Angels: My Great Masterpiece

Saturday, March 11, 2006

My Great Masterpiece

During Adoration, God gave me a vision of myself as an artist in front of a very large canvas.

There I stood, with barely any paint actually on the canvas, desperately trying to create a masterpiece. God reminded me that most masterpieces are not created over night, but involve painstaking years work.

Art is not an exact science and its mistakes are rarely erased. When you're painting, erasing is not an option. You can start over. You can try to cover it up. Or, you can incorporate it into your painting.

When you're creating a large work, it's often difficult to really see it as you paint. Getting the vision usually requires taking a few steps back and taking in the whole picture, rather than getting caught up in the messy details.

Paintings are as varied as the artists who paint them. Some are Classical. Some are Impressionistic. Others are bizarre, Modernist pieces. All are art. And you can bet that if you see it hanging somewhere, it's touched more than one person. Even if you don't like it, you can at least appreciate it. A few are powerful enough to touch people throughout the ages.

Jesus, guide my hand. Show me the colors to use and the places to put them. Help me learn to incorporate my mistakes into the work by learning from them. Remind me to take a step back every once in awhile to see the big picture. And please, Jesus, help the work I create bring everyone who sees it closer to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Parris said...

Lauren,

From your posting of your Sorrowful Mysteries drawing, I'd say you understand perfectly what God was saying to me.

Theo,

Thanks for the encouragement. Being a cocreator with God has been the most incredible experience of my life. I do often get caught up in the messy details but when I look at the big picture, I stand in awe.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home