/> Raising Angels: O Mother Most Humble

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

O Mother Most Humble

Mary has always been a part of my life. I have related to her as a fellow female and my heavenly mother but never so closely as I have since I became a mother myself.

Besides a donkey ride to Bethlehem while she was probably in labor and giving birth to the Son of God in a stable, Mary raised Jesus without modern conviences like diapers, wipes, or onesies. We don't hear about it in the Bible, but I assume she had to feed, bathe and dress him as well. Although he was perfect, it was still her God-given responsibility.

One time, she even lost him in a crowded marketplace. Every parent knows what must have been racing through her mind as she searched for him. When she finally did find him, he corrected her: "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" (Luke 3:49). Talk about a lesson in humility.

That is how she lived out her life - in humble service to the Lord. She never got up on a soap box. She didn't publish her memoirs. She simply stayed at home and took care of Jesus. When he finally moved out after 30 years at home (she probably never looked forward to having an empty nest either), she stayed with him.

When the whole world turned against him, tortured him, and crucified him, she was there. It must have taken every ounce of self control she had not to pull him down off of the cross herself. Again, the humble acceptance of God's will.

She did this from the very beginning. "I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word" (Luke 1:38). Imagine. She lived her whole life with the knowledge that her son was also her creator.

I pray that I may have the humility of Mary. I pray that I can accept my vocation of motherhood with the grace that she did. I pray that every step of the way I will stay with Jesus. I am the servant of the Lord. May it be done to me acoording to his will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home