/> Raising Angels: I Have Finished the Race

Saturday, April 23, 2022

I Have Finished the Race

I was the kid in elementary school who asked my mom to write notes to excuse me from running laps in PE. There wasn't anything wrong with me, I simply hated running...with a passion. I didn't really see the point of running circles around a track, going nowhere, and not feeling good doing it.

And then, one day, in my late 30's, my brother threw out the idea that I should join his training group and run a half marathon. I'm pretty sure I laughed. Then I went home, and the Lord told me I needed to do it. 

Max was only a few months old at the time and we had just finished building this house and moved in. During the three year building phase, I rarely saw Nelson. He worked a full time job, came home, changed clothes, and headed to the house to work. Needless to say, after all that time with the kids on my own, I was ready for a break.

I signed up for the group and Nelson agreed to come home early one day a week so I could make one of the week night training runs. He stayed home Saturday mornings so I could do the long runs as well. That meant I got up an hour earlier than most people in the group so I could pump and leave a bottle for Max. I was still young"ish" and a little out of my mind.

In the training group, I was simply Amy.  I wasn't Nelson's wife, or my kids' mama (though of course, I was). To them, I was simply the lady who had never run a race in her life. I was AWAYS the slowest one in the group, so I got in a lot of really good prayer times, as well as plain old quiet time. I discovered that runners are some of the nicest people around. They cheer you on, encourage you, and even run extra distances to turn back and run with you. 

When I crossed the finish line of my first half marathon, I felt like a champion. It didn't matter that I was slower than most, I accomplished something that I thought was impossible for me and that felt great. Interestingly enough, what I realized after running 7 half marathons and many smaller training races, is that I despise running. It hurts every single step of the way. I have never, ever felt that elusive runner's high. I kept trying, for a really long time, but it never happened. Eventually, I decided I was done with running and I've never looked back.

When our school's senior class sent out information about their Spring Sprint 5K fundraiser, I thought long and hard. My first thought was a hard NO. Of course, Max and Felicity wanted to do it. The thought occurred to me, "What if I walk it?" That way, I can participate, support the seniors, AND enjoy it. I didn't sign up in advance though, because I had no desire to be the only walker. But, today, when I arrived at registration, I was happy to see that not only were other people walking, they were also willing to walk with me.

It was sunny and cool, a perfect combination for race day. I owned the fact I was walking and enjoyed every minute of it. I was able to speak to the seniors along the route and wish them a good senior trip. I was able to carry on conversations with several of the women walkers. I was able to finish the course still breathing and not in pain. Also, my partner and I were not last, which was my only goal.

Felicity and Max chose the one mile race, which followed. Neither of them trained, and I was a little concerned that Felicity would end in tears and Max would be frustrated. Once I made sure they were at the starting line, I made my way down the course to the first hill, the place I felt they might need some encouragement. However, before I could make it to the hill, I heard the patter of feet and the cheers of the crown for the first runner. I turned and look who I saw! Yep, that's Max, in full stride.
I decided to stay at that point to catch Felicity. Her running buddies, who were all much older than her, were no longer around. She was still going at it...uphill.
Once they passed, I went a little further up so I could see if Max was still in the lead. By the time he came back over the second big hill, he was, but he was walking. He played back to back soccer games Wednesday (who does stuff like that?) and followed that up with Social. He had another game Thursday afternoon, in which he scored two goals in the first ten minutes. He plays center midfield and runs the entire game. By Friday morning, he was out of gas and feeling sick.
He wanted to do the run anyway. I'm so glad he did. He came in third overall and loved it. I didn't see him cross the finish line because I was waiting for Felicity. I knew that final hill was going to be tough, and I wanted to run with her to keep her going. That look of determination and the fact that she was still mostly running, amazed me. And, she wasn't crying. 
She hit the water stand as soon as she finished and then, well, she was done. I let her stay there until everyone finished and they were ready to make the announcements.
Max got a medal for placing third among the male runners. His smile made the whole morning worth it. He couldn't believe he won. He's never been much of a runner, so it was a surprise to him as well as me. He told me he knew he'd be tired, so his whole strategy was to get as far ahead as he could before he had to stop to walk. He only had to do that for a few seconds and then somehow found the energy to kick it end and run to the finish. 
Today I'm grateful for the sport of running. I'm grateful for the friends it has given me, the accomplishments its helped me reach, and the fun other people have doing it. I'm grateful I was able to participate and in the process, cheer on many of my students. Most of all, I'm grateful for Felicity's perseverance and Max's multiple high fives today as he shouted, "Third place!"
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home