/> Raising Angels: The Blessing of Basketball

Monday, January 24, 2022

The Blessing of Basketball

Max's middle school team started my run at the table tonight and what a game it was. They played great and beat a team by 20 that had beaten them by as much when we played them in their gym. One of the blessings of a small school is that you get to watch the kids grow together as a team. They grow in talent and in stature at this age, and it can be glorious to witness when it all comes together. They've known each other their whole lives, so they learn how to read each other. When they're on, there's no stopping them.

Dawson's team had similar success. The only reason they didn't reach 100 tonight, is that we have a merciful coach who doesn't enjoy humiliating the other team. I've been keeping the books for some of these guys since they started playing basketball in the 6th grade. It's wonderful to watch it all unfold. Sure, every game is not their best, but they love each other and are a true team. There are lots of pats on the back and cheering each other on.

I'm grateful to live in a place where I can watch growth and change take place. I get to witness talent unfold and bloom. I'm grateful to be able to be able to participate in such a big part of their lives. I'm grateful for our gym and the memories it holds (all the way back to when I played sports in it). And, I'm grateful to be part of the bigger work of raising these souls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home