/> Raising Angels: Because My Little Brother is About to be a Daddy

Friday, January 25, 2013

Because My Little Brother is About to be a Daddy

My brother and his wife just found out that their first baby will be born on Monday (prayers appreciated). Her due date is February 9th but her fluids are low and the doctor said that the baby is measuring smaller than she had hoped. The doctor assured them that even though that sweet little baby is just shy of 5 1/2 lbs., there is no reason not to think that everything will be just fine. It's just going to happen two weeks earlier than they had planned.

That being said, I've spent the last two days helping them get ready. They did not find out what they are having which I love, so into the attic I went to find that one tub of newborn gowns I had that are all gender neutral. I found the gowns along with some socks, onesies and jackets that I thought would do the trick. I oohed and ahhed over those tiny little things, remembering each of my babies in them. Such sweet, sweet memories of such a precious time.

And just like that, I blinked and those tiny creatures grew in ways I could have never imagined. And now instead of tiny fingers and toes, I stare in awe of this...

 and this...
and this...
and this.

In those wonderful delivery room moments, staring into the eyes of these beautiful creatures God had given me, basking in the miracle of how one moment they were in my womb and the next they were thrust (and yes, my poor kids were thrust) into this big world, I never, not even for one moment, imagined I would be here.


It's been such an amazing journey. Every stage has its blessings and challenges, ups and downs, but none of that takes away from the miracle of life - the fact that before they were formed in my womb, God knew each and every one of them. He saw this moment and all the ones to come. He knew some days would be better than others and that I wouldn't do any of this perfectly.

And yet, He blessed me. He chose to give me these souls in spite of myself. I am a better person because of them.

Brian and Heather, your journey is just about to begin. It will knock your socks off. It will rock your world. It will make you feel a love that you didn't know was possible. It will overwhelm you and bless you beyond measure. It will make you better. It will be an incredible adventure. Hang on and enjoy the ride! You're going to do great.

And when you don't, call me. We'll commiserate together. Some days are just like that, even in Australia (I’ll loan you that story when the time is right).

I can’t wait!

 

3 Comments:

Anonymous MOM said...

Hard to believe you were our first gift from God!To watch your babies having babies is truly an awesome experience! God sure knew what He was doing making you the BIG sister of the family!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Mom Nages said...

So excited for Brian and Heather!!!! Two weeks early is standard planning for some OBs; please don't worry. Please let them know to call/write if I can be of any help. Lots of friends contact me with questions they don't want to ask their docs. Sending extra prayers their way this weekend and in the coming weeks.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Mom, I learned from the best!

Mom Nages, thanks so much for the assurance. I'll tell them they can call you. Thanks especially for the prayers.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home