/> Raising Angels: A Spot of Tea

Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Spot of Tea

I have all but given up on buying gifts for my parents. They've been around awhile so there's not much that they need. And, on the off chance that they actually need something, they go out and get it. With the house paid for and all of us gone, they can do things like that. More power to them I say!

Unfortunately, on gift-giving occasions, that kind of leaves the rest of us at a loss. What do you give people who don't need anything?

When I was a kid I remember my mom asking for things like, "I just want you kids to be good," and "How about just one day of peace?" My response was always the same, "That's nice Mom, but what can I buy you?"

Now that I have achieved motherhood, I totally get those requests. In fact, I've been know to make them myself. So, even though it took me awhile, I think I've finally figured out how to give them what they love...time.

When I heard about a new place that offered high tea, Mother's Day was in the bag. The only problem was that it only has parties on the weekends and doesn't open until 11:30 on the weekdays which means we had to wait until school was out to cash in on the gift. But today, with the big boys in Florida and Max at a friend's, us girls - we.had.tea!

The tea room was cute and girly and just what we needed. We chatted and lingered and taught Mackenzie the art of drinking tea with her pinky extended.

There's just something about my very own pot of tea that felt so indulgent. Of course the raw sugar, dainty cup and tiny spoon with a tea pot on it didn't hurt.

And the food? Well it was just as dainty and girly as the rest of the place. I tried to snap a picture of the tower of scones accompanied by their Devonshire cream, lemon curd and strawberry preserves but they were devoured before I could pull the camera out. I did get a picture of the tower of treats that came out next, complete with its cucumber, chicken salad and pimento cheese sandwiches, but this photo, with Mackenzie's gaze of total awe...well, it was much better than the one of the food.

It was a simple pleasure. Time with the girls; time to sit and sip; time to enjoy. Time. Well. Spent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous BAMA said...

Loved every minute!

10:05 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Sweet.

When I was younger we would go to a tea house in a nearby town every time my grandmother came to visit. I loved it so much. Dressing up and eating fancy tiny sandwiches and stuff was so fun. I hope you get to do that more often.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home